The purpose of the USAID-supported Parliamentary Support Program is to contribute to Malawi’s democratic governance by supporting the Parliament of Malawi to better fulfill its legislative, oversight and representative functions. The goal of the activity is to support the effectiveness and independence of Parliament by providing technical support to selected constitutional and standing committees, coordination between parliament and statutory oversight institutions around public integrity issues, and CSOs and media’s demand for accountability. The activity looks at both the technical capacity as well as the political incentives of Members of Parliament and staff to support a more robust legislative process, and more rigorous oversight. To maximize Parliament’s influence, the activity will leverage partnerships with oversight institutions and civil society and media to build coalitions for reforms that are responsive to the public interest.
The driver’s primary function is to provide logistical support to the Parliamentary Support Program’s staff and partners by transporting passengers and maintaining vehicles. The majority of time will be spent in Lilongwe, however, some regional travel within Malawi may be required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive vehicle for official travel.
- Maintain high standard of service to both internal and external official staff and guests.
- Ensure punctuality and safe transport by observing the road and traffic laws and regulations of Malawi; ensure that road tax, certificate of fitness and insurance are up to date, adhere to speed limits.
- Keep an orderly file of all vehicle documents.
- Keep the official vehicle clean; interior and exterior.
- Monitor day-to-day maintenance checks: oil, water, battery, breaks, and tires.
- Ensure timely maintenance, servicing and repair of vehicles with official authorization.
- Keep records in car logbook and submit to field office staff regularly as required.
- Provide assistance as needed, including but not limited to delivering goods, correspondence, packages, and official documents as requested.
- Ensure that the vehicle has up to date logbook.
- Ensure only authorized passengers travel in the vehicle and ensure that passengers wear seat belts at all times.
- Ensure that the First Aids Kit is kept in the vehicle at all times.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Malawi School Certificate of Examination
- At least 5 years of professional driving experience with 3 years’ experience
- Demonstrated experience in motor vehicle maintenance scheduling.
- Ability to produce basic reports in English.
- Ability to communicate in English and Chichewa.
- Clean and valid driving license.
How to Apply
The applications can be submitted to:
The Deputy Chief of Party
7th Floor, West Side Wing
P O Box 31521