TRUST FUND MANAGER
About Mzuzu University Trust Fund
Mzuzu University Trust Fund was established by the Mzuzu University Act (No. 12 of 1997). The Act further created a Board of Trustees to oversee the operations of the Trust Fund. The Trust Fund was endorsed by the Government of Malawi through a Trust Deed of May 5, 1998. It is a tool and legal mechanism through which Mzuzu University can enter into business and commercial dealings and transactions with both the public and private sectors. It currently operates a number of businesses mostly in the Hospitality Sector. It now plans to diversify its businesses in other sectors of the economy in order to fulfil its mandate.
Given its expansion drive, the Mzuzu University Trust Fund offers unique challenges to its Manager, who acts as the head of the secretariat and oversees the day-to-day operations of the Trust Fund.
The Trust Fund Manager
The Trust Fund Manager is responsible for provision of leadership and strategic direction in the operations of the Trust Fund. He/she is under the immediate supervision and control of the Chairperson of the Board of Trustees.
Applications are therefore invited for this exciting and demanding position of Trust Fund Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Trust Fund Manager is required to fulfil the following duties and responsibilities, inter-alia:
(a) General Management
- Coordinating performance management system in the Trust Fund;
- Organizing Board Meetings and overseeing implementation of Board resolutions;
- Servicing Board and committee meeting;
(b) Business Leadership
iv. Formulating investment project proposals and overseeing their implementation;
v. Providing guidance to the Board of Trustees to invest in profitable business initiatives as guided by the Trust Deed;
vi. Initiating local fund-raising initiatives in the short term;
vii. Ensuring that all donations made to the Trust Fund are properly accounted for;
viii. Ensuring that the accounts of the Trust Fund are properly audited on annual basis;
ix. Preparing and presenting financial, investment and other reports;
x. Overseeing the day-to-day business operations of the Trust Fund; and
(xi) In liaison with Trustees, spearheading dialogue and interface with potential local and international benefactors in the public and private domains, including the diplomatic circles to solicit both long and short-term financial support to the Trust Fund for the benefit of the University.
The candidate must have:
- Master’s and Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or Social Science with a bias in Economics or Marketing obtained from a reputable and accredited institution of higher learning; and
- Five (5) years’ experience in business management or entrepreneurship.
Desired Attributes and Skills
- Strategic management skills with a bias on fundraising, marketing, business development and project management;
- Proven track record in generating funds;
- Ability to develop, plan, and implement short and long-range goals;
- Excellent analytical, conflict management and problem-solving skills;
- Leadership and team building skills;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal relationship skills; and
- Excellent leadership and organizational skills.
Terms and Conditions of Service
Mzuzu University Trust Fund will provide an attractive salary and benefits in accordance with its emolument structure. The appointment is for a period of four (4) years, renewable subject to attainment of targets agreed with the Board of Trustees.
Instructions and Mode of Application
Applicants are required to adhere to the following instructions:
- Applications should be submitted strictly through e-mail to: email@example.com;
- All documents should be in PDF Format;
- The subject line for the e-mail should read: “Application for the Post of Trust Fund manager”;
- The application package should include the following documents:
- An application letter with a motivation for the position;
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae (CV) with names and contact details of three traceable referees;
- and Certified copies of academic and professional qualifications.
The application should be e-mailed before mid-night of Friday, 23rd February 2024. Note that only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
Mzuzu University Trust Fund is an equal opportunity employer and therefore encourages applications from qualified men, women and persons living with disabilities.