Concern Worldwide is a non-governmental, international, humanitarian organisation dedicated to the reduction of suffering and working towards the ultimate elimination of extreme poverty in the world’s poorest countries
Founded in 1968, Concern works in 25 countries in Africa, Asia and the Caribbean with its headquarters in Ireland.
Concern started working in Malawi in 2002. Our Country Strategic Plan 2023 – 2027 focuses on climate and environment, social protection, gender and social inclusion, sustainable food systems for food security and partnerships. For sustainability and lasting change, our advocacy and influence, people centred and evidence based approaches focus on system strengthening and resilience building as we seek to address the root causes of poverty.
Concern invites applications from interested candidates qualified for the following position
Team Leader – Agroforestry (1 Vacancy)
Contract Duration: Fixed Term One (1) Year Contract
Duty Station: Lilongwe Rural
The incumbent will, under the supervision of District Programme Manager, be responsible for community engagement activities and implementation of identified agroforestry interventions at village and area level in coordination with the community leaders and other relevant technical working groups/community structures including the Forest, Lands, Lands Resources and Environment Officers. S/he will also work hand in hand with the MEAL Team on data collection including conducting leading discussions with key participants on carbon emission/credit plus reporting, recording, and tracking of climate credit.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- In Charge of supporting the beneficiaries to develop their tree nurseries, woodlot and orchards in order to become more self-sufficient in fruits/improved soil health/firewood/fodder but also regenerate new sources of income through carbon financing.
- In charge of scaling-up to interested farmers agroforestry technologies that have a high impact on crop yields, income, environment, nutrition and soil health.
- Ensure a high-quality implementation and maximize output in order to ensure the best survival of trees planted and adequate planning of the beneficiaries according to their needs.
- Contribute to the project planning activities and ensure delivery of approved Work, Procurement, Financial, and other Sector related plans
- Ensure that implementation is in line with Concern relevant program guidelines, workplan, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan.
- Ensure there is good coordination and collaboration with relevant project stakeholders including local and government structures.
- Provide timely, accurate, and quality reports and inputs as envisaged by the Programme Documents
- Provide timely, accurate, and quality inputs needed for monitoring of Programme’s performance, outputsand benefit as requested by the Program Manager.
- Maintain project activity records and up to date computerized database management
- Support the Programme Manager in preparation of timely and quality progress reports. This will involve responding to technical queries from an external carbon project partner/sponsor.
Qualifications and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Agroforestry or forestry-linked fields and knowledge of carbon finance and carbon credit generation would be a particular advantage and in possession of a motorbike rider’s license
- At least 2 years’ experience at community level with extensive knowledge and experience in agroforestry and carbon credit, participatory rural appraisal tools, community mobilizations and M&E
How to Apply
Interested candidates, who meet the above qualifications, should send their CV (3 pages maximum including contacts of 3 referees) and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of the email as ” Team Leader – Agroforestry’’ depending on the position they are applying for. The deadline for applications is Wednesday 21th February, 2024.
Due to the urgency to fill these positions, applications will be reviewed and shortlisted on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.
Concern is an equal opportunities employer.