African Vision Malawi
Operations Manager Vacancy
Organisation: African Vision Malawi
African Vision Malawi (“AVM”) is a small NGO based in Malawi and supported from the UK. More information on our vision, mission and purpose can be found at: www.africanvision.org.uk.
Role: Operations Manager
AVM is seeking an Operations Manager, who will be responsible for leading, developing and overseeing all aspects of our operations, facilities, technical, administrative and human resource capabilities, ensuring compliance with AVM, strategies, plans and processes. The post holder will operate between our two sites at Njewa and M’bang’ombe. The Operations Manager is responsible for ensuring all operational activities are carried out in a cost-effective and safe manner; exploring opportunities to make savings and to raise revenues.
The Operations Manager has three key areas of responsibility:
- Provide logistical support for AVM community-based projects and operations.
- Manage accommodation and office spaces including all operational site personnel, material assets, utilities, security and monitoring.
- Manage and support volunteers working on operational based-activity to ensure they contribute effectively and provide positive feedback on their experience.
- Provide support to Programme Managers to ensure they are on track and delivering.
- Regularly review policies and procedures in support of operational activities.
- Ensure compliance with laws and regulations particularly operational health and safety
- Increase the efficiency of existing processes and procedures to improve internal capability and capacity.
2. Human Resources (HR)
- Lead, manage, develop and motivate own team, and provide support to other managers.
- Maintain all HR policies and procedures and provide guidance and interpretation on terms to managers and employees.
- Support the CEO and the management team in all aspects of recruitment and selection.
- Help bring customers to Sam’s village and improve quality of customer service
- Support staff with regard to annual performance reviews ensuring timely and constructive completion of the reviews
- Support the management team and staff with regard to employee relations issues including conducting all disciplinary investigations as required
- Maintain AVM’s external HR relationships, including the District Labour Office and legal representatives.
- Partner with cross functional teams to improve processes, systems and working relationships.
3. Cost Savings and Fundraising
- Identify efficiencies and cost saving opportunities.
- Support the CEO with planning activities, managing budgets and forecasts
- Explore options and opportunities for securing funding and support within Malawi, such as gifts in kind and Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) ‘’, opportunities and corporate support (e.g. airtime sponsorship, bicycle ambulance donations, etc.)
- Identify opportunities to promote and publicise the work and achievements of AVM to secure further support and funding.
- Seek new links/partners with other NGOs and organisations in Malawi that can assist with capacity development of AVM. Manage existing partnerships and explore opportunities for joint work.
- Procure goods and services and secure compliance.
- Good knowledge and understanding of health and safety across operations
- Manage data collection and the completion of operational log frame
- Oversee materials, inventory, and put plans in place to review, monitor and record.
- Regularly review budgets and report to CEO changes and cost impacts.
- An advanced Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution is required, such as Business, Management, Operations, Management etc.
- Substantial experience as an Operations Manager or Business Manager in a similar sized organisation.
- Knowledge of organizational effectiveness, quality improvement and operational management
- Experience in budgeting, cost saving, procurement and supply chain processes
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and team skills with significant leadership ability
- Strong people, skills and experience, including recruitment, employee relations performance management and assessment.
- Advanced IT skills in MS Office programmes, particularly Excel with proven computer literacy.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English.
- High level of influencing and negotiation skills confident in dealing with diverse groups of people.
- Planning and analytical skills with attention to detail are essential.
Desirable skills and experience:
- Policy development and fund-raising experience
- A problem solving and solution-oriented attitude; be methodical and adaptable.
- Ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision and deliver on set objectives within given deadlines
- Approachable and willingness to listen and assist all colleagues
- Ability to conduct training of staff within the operations and HR areas
- Motivation to learn and develop and keep abreast of donor policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
Remuneration: The salary and allowances will be appropriate to your experience and within our funding levels. Please understand that we are a small charity and consequently cannot pay salaries in line with large INGOs. You should not therefore apply if your salary expectations are in excess of K512,000 gross per month.
Contract: 6 months’ probation period and, if completed successfully, followed thereafter by an indefinite contract thereafter (subject to a 3-month notice period, ongoing funding and AVM’s needs and priorities).
How to apply:
This post is open to Malawian nationals. We encourage applications from women and marginalised groups in line with our Equal Opportunities policy. Only those meeting the criteria for this post will be considered for shortlisting. If you have not had a response within 14 days of the closing date, your application has not been successful.
Applications MUST be made online only using the following:
- CV in English, no longer than 2 sides of A4 and in font no smaller than size 11, and:
- An accompanying covering letter outlining the four key questions below in less than 400 words per question:
- In your role as Operations Manager tell us why you are the most suitable person for this role?
- What values do you hold that link to the organisation and how will you demonstrate these to support the team and the work of AVM?
- How can you help us deliver our mission?
- How can you support the CEO deliver the work of the charity in your role?
The cover letter must also include details of your current remuneration package.
CVs and accompanying letters should be sent to email@example.com by 5pm on Tuesday 6th February 2024. Applications that are late and/or do not comply with the application guidance will not be considered. Interview dates and time are provided to successful applicants.