Amref Health Africa
|Healthcare Financing Specialist
|Deputy Director (CHSS) & Head of Programs – Amref Health Africa
|Community Health Services Unit
|DURATION OF CONTRACT
Amref Health Africa was founded in 1957 and has since grown to become the largest African-based international health development organization, currently implementing more than 120 programs, directly reaching more than 12 million people across 35 African countries. Headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, Amref Health Africa has offices in ten countries in Africa and an additional eleven advocacy and fundraising offices in Europe and North America. In the spirit of Ubuntu, partnership and networking are key elements of our approach. Amref has a staff complement of over 1,500.
Amref Health Africa is driven by its vision of ‘Lasting health change in Africa’ and its mission ‘To increase sustainable health access to communities in Africa through solutions in human resources for health, health service delivery, and investments in health’.
1. Job Purpose
We are looking for an innovative and results oriented Health Financing Specialist to provide Technical Assistance to the Department of Community Health at the Ministry of Health in resource mobilization for implementation of the National Community Health framework (2023-2030), as well as support the planning and implementation of health financing initiatives. The role will specifically provide technical assistance (TA) in analyzing new opportunities for resource mobilization, conducting donor scooping, and supporting tracking resources transferred to health facilities through direct health facility financing (DHFF). We are seeking a candidate who is creative-minded and eager to think outside the box when it comes to institutional fundraising and smooth implementation of DHFF.
2. Reporting Relationships -Current
The incumbent will technically report to the Deputy Director, Community Health Services Unit in the Ministry of Health and administratively to the Head of Programs at Amref Health Africa. Amref will provide all the administrative support to this position.
- Specific Key Responsibilities:
- Work with relevant Government departments and stakeholders to support development of private sector partnerships and other partners.
- Coordinate interface meetings between Community Health Department and the private sector and donors to finance NCHF.
- Strengthen the capacity building of CSOs in community health resource mobilization, national budget advocacy, tracking, and analysis.
- Supporting health systems assessment including the flow of funds from National level to health facilities.
- Support the development and implementation of effective resource mobilization and fundraising strategies for the National Community Health Framework (NCHF 2023 -2030).
- Develop and maintain a pipeline of potential funding partners and initiating outreach to potential partners, managing current partners and preparing pitch proposals to meet income targets.
- Lead in development of an investment case for community health prioritization in Malawi.
- Community Health Portfolio Growth: In collaboration with the Amref team, identify relevant upcoming funding opportunities track grant forecast, gather intelligence and lead proposal development processes on Community Health related funding opportunities.
Strategic partnerships and stakeholder engagements
- Manage and coordinate the relationships with key partners and ensure proactive coordination, monitoring and facilitation of timely responses.
- Identify and nurture relationships with strategic partners (CSOs, academic organizations, and private sector firms) to enhance Resource Mobilization efforts for Community Health in Malawi.
Strategic Health Financing for Community health
- Provide high-level technical assistance to the MOH on key health sector/health financing activities.
- Participate in relevant policy and guidelines development on DHFF
- Follow-up on action point from related technical areas to strengthen technical efficiency and the equitable allocation of resource use in the sector.
- Participate in the design and implementation of strategic purchasing measures and advise accordingly on its improvement.
- Assist in the coordination of technical working groups (TWG) and other meetings.
- Carry out other duties as assigned from time to time on strategic purchasing.
4. Educational/professional qualifications and experience
- Master’s degree in Health Economics, Public Health, International Development/Relations, or a related relevant technical discipline strongly preferred.
- At least six (7) years of experience working with NGO in a related position i.e. strategic purchasing, health care financing, resource mobilization etc.
- Experience in developing successful proposals and/or tender bids to Institutional Donors, Foundations, and Private Funders.
- Experience in working with Government Ministries or departments.
5. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated strong writing, editing, and communication skills.
- Keen interest and excitement in business development and health financing with a willingness to learn and ambition to take on positions of increasing responsibility.
- Detail-oriented, flexible, and able to handle multiple concurrent tasks.
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to prioritize own workload and work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to lead complex proposals, and development teams.
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
How to Apply
Interested? Please visit our website https://amref.org/vacancies/ to make your application. You will be directed to our online portal where you will need to create an account in order for you to be able to submit your application. Your application should include a cover letter detailing why you are the best fit for this position and your CV with relevant skills and experience. The closing date will be Friday 16 February, 2024. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Duly note that Amref Health Africa does not require applicants to pay any money at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process and has not retained any agent in connection with recruitment. Although Amref may use different job boards from time to time to further spread its reach for applicants, all open vacancies are published on our website under the Vacancies page and on our official social media pages. Kindly note that official emails from Amref Health Africa will arrive from an @amref.org address.
Amref Health Africa is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people, and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment. Amref Health Africa is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy.