Website Total Land Care
Total LandCare (TLC) is a non-profit organization implementing development programs in Malawi, Zambia, Mozambique, and Tanzania. TLC’s mission is to transform the livelihoods of rural households from subsistence to prosperity and self-reliance. Achieving this goal involves building the capacity of organized groups of farmers, cooperatives, and related local governance structures to integrate sustainable agricultural and natural resource practices with initiatives to strengthen livelihoods and value chains linked to micro-finance and markets. The ultimate aim is to increase farm productivity, diversification, profitability and resilience with lower input costs and sound management of the landscape for current and future generations.
To support the above mission, TLC has secured funding towards the implementation of development projects in Northern and Central Malawi. The goal of the projects are a) to strengthen local food systems in selected extension planning areas (EPAs) through improved food and nutrition security, increased resilience to climate change and increased income among agriculture-dependent rural households, and b) to restore the land and livelihoods of vulnerable small-scale farm households, and to enhance carbon sinks using locally-appropriate evergreening systems.
TLC is therefore seeking the services of qualified, highly motivated, and hardworking persons to fill the following position:
Gender Specialist X1
The Gender Specialist will be responsible for training staff and beneficiaries in the project. She/He will provide technical guidance to the field staff members in the areas of gender activities and ensure the high-quality composition of the gender interventions. You will collaborate with other departments (CSA, Land Restoration, Monitoring & Evaluation, Land governance and Agribusiness) to ensure effective integration of Gender in all program sectors, establish working relationships with district level line ministries (Ministry of Gender, Community Development and Social Welfare) in Gender related issue. He/His services will be conducted under the supervision of the Project Manager. As with all project staff, she/he is also accountable to primary stakeholder groups.
Main Position Responsibilities
- Develop and Implement policies, programs, and initiatives that promote gender equality and equity in the community and workplace.
- Work with departments and partners to promote gender mainstreaming and provide proactive technical support.
- Identify gender gaps and needs and providing resources and support to address them.
- Building capacity of staff and partners to understand gender equality, gender equitable household decision making, disability inclusion and stereotypes through trainings and education.
- Coordinating gender and power analyses to measure and improve gender outcomes. Advocate for gender justice within the project activities.
- Manage specified budget lines to ensure that spending is within the approved budget amounts.
- Collaborate with financial and marketing institutions and business associations on promotion of women, youth and PWD economic empowerment, and marketing.
- Conduct mentorship and supportive supervision.
- Facilitate strengthening of women and youth forums on land rights.
- Attend technical Working Group meetings at the project and district levels.
- Identify technical support needs for the program and communicate to the Project Manager.
- Produce and disseminate gender sensitive IEC materials.
- Assist the M&E Officer in data collection, analysis and reporting and provide an input into the production of the semi and annual reports.
- Compile and submit monthly, quarterly, biannual, and annual reports with gender disaggregated information on gender mainstreaming, gender-based violence, women economic empowerment and political empowerment of men, women, boys, girls and PWD and submit to the Project Manager.
- Participate in regular project planning, research, and review activities.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Project manager.
Qualifications And Desired Attributes
- Bachelor’s degree in Gender and Development Studies, Humanities, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Social Work and Rural and Community Development.
- Minimum of three years of professional experience in implementing/managing gender development programs.
- Strong facilitation skills and ability to facilitate sensitive gender related discussions with peers and community members.
- Ability to transfer knowledge through formal and informal training.
- Demonstrated skills in Gap analysis.
- Knowledge of gender tools applicable in gender sensitive programs.
- Ability to influence, network, and collaborate with government, NGOs, and other stakeholders (both mainstream, and diversity and inclusion specific) Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and a team player.
- Excellent oral and written analytical communication skills, ability to work well with diverse group of people.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines under pressure.
- Fluency in English and at least one locally spoken language.
- Demonstrated computer literacy in MS Office packages.
- Willingness to travel approximately 50% of time to remote areas of the country to interact with field staff and project partners (farmers and others).
- Flexibility and willingness to work during odd hours, including holidays and weekends on a wide range of tasks.
- Previous NGO experience of at least three years preferred.
- High level of professionalism, trustworthiness, confidentiality, and integrity.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
An attractive remuneration will be offered to successful candidates commensurate with qualifications and experience. TLC is an equal opportunity employer, so women are encouraged to apply. The contract is for 12 months, renewable on a yearly basis based on performance and continuation of the projects.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Applications including an up-to-date curriculum vitae giving names, telephone numbers, physical and email addresses of traceable referees should be sent to the address below not later than Friday 16th February 2024. Please specify the type of job you are applying for and indicate when you would be available. Note that applications via email will not be entertained.
The Managing Director
Plot #12/520, New Area 12,
P.O. Box 2440, Lilongwe Malawi
“Only short-listed applicants will be acknowledged”