Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)
MEDECINS SANS FRONTIERES FRANCE –BLANTYRE
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is a non-profit, independent international humanitarian organization committed to delivering medical aid to populations facing crises, with a steadfast commitment to impartiality and without regard to race, religion, creed, or political affiliation. In Malawi, MSF collaborates closely with the Ministry of Health and the local community, particularly in the Cervical Cancer project in the Blantyre district, as well as the CBO Project in Zalewa and Dedza District.
MSFF is looking for its Blantyre Cervical Cancer Project Office:
ANESTHESIA CLINICAL OFFICER -1 POSITION
Workplace : Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital (QECH) Blantyre
Type of contract : 1 Year Fixed Term Contract with possible extension
Start date : March 2024
Main purpose of the position
Organize and carry out anaesthetic medical activities under the supervision/guidance of an anaesthetist doctor/nurse( if any) and according to MSF policies, protocols and universal hygiene standards and in close collaboration with the surgeon and other medical staff, in order to ensure the quality of pre, intra, and post-operative care of all patients.
- Performing consultations to patients due for surgery, evaluating of the risks of operating (in collaboration with the surgeon), obtaining patient’s written authorization for their operation, providing patients with appropriate information on their illness and treatments, and deciding on what type of anesthetics to be used
- According to set procedures, carrying out all nursing anesthetics related activities during surgery in order to collaborate in patient’s adequate anaesthetized state and safety during the process. Preparing the drugs, material, and equipment required for the surgery. Monitoring patients throughout the whole intervention and administering and maintaining anesthetics following the rules of hygiene and asepsis in force.
- Providing post-operative care, including immediate post-operative surveillance in the recovery room and special patients present in the HDU, in order to adapt the prescriptions, with special focus on patient’s pain relief, during the stabilization and recovery process. Does round consultations with the Surgeon Doctor once or twice a day, discussing therapeutic orientations with the department manager, renewing prescriptions and ensuring they are followed. Systematically evaluating patients’ pain to adapt prescriptions and/or therapies for their relief.
- Respecting, promotingand ensuring medical confidentiality and implementing and following hygiene rules, procedures and protocols at all times as well as looking after the integrity of anesthesia material (decontamination, sterilization, storage conditions, etc.) and other equipment, in order to ensure the safety and protection of patients and other staff. Knowing accidental blood exposure policy and procedure and implementing them when necessary.
- Ensuring that all staff using medical devices are qualified and trained. Ensuring cleaning and minor maintenance tasks are performed according to the protocols. Reporting any malfunction to the project biomedical service.
- Carrying out all pharmacy related activities (stock control, station’s re-stocking, inventories, expired drugs, etc.) and other equipment of anesthetic ward, doing special follow-up of narcotics and sedatives (register, consumptions, empty phials, etc.), ensuring enough stock-up and the good functioning to carry-out the medical activities. Drawing up pharmacy orders according to needs.
- Carrying out administrative procedures and documents (fill in of patients’ files, forms, statistics, data base, etc.), in order to have updated and correct information about the day-to-day activities.
In collaboration with the Surgeon Doctor, carrying out quantitative surgical-anesthesia data collection, drawing up and sending out reports for the monthly follow up of peri-surgical mortality and for the quality of anesthesia/pain management and informing the direct supervisor immediately in the event of medical error.
- Delivering anesthesia care to all emergency and elective cases according to MSF protocols and hygiene standards. Clean, organize and ensure that anesthetic trolley is checked before and refilled after each surgery.
- Ensures that patients in the recovery room are stable as per protocol before transferring to the appropriate ward.
- Supervising and training the national diploma anesthesia students (if any).
- Accountable for the medical management of patients in the HDU/ICU in the IPD ward
- Maintain the close collaboration with the MoH anesthetist department
- Participate in the team meetings, MDT and other meeting related to his responsibilities
- Maintain close collaboration with the IPD nursing team and the other department
- At least a Clinical Officer Diploma with specialization as Anaesthetic Clinical Officer
- Essential 2 years of previous experience as Clinical Officer.
- Experience in other NGO’s as anesthesia Clinical Officer is an asset.
- Essential 1-year specialized work experience as Anesthesia Clinical Officer with HDU/ICU management.
Languages English and Chichewa
Knowledge Essential computer literacy (Word, Excel and Internet).
Competencies People Management, Commitment, Flexibility, Results oriented and Teamwork
Documents to provide:
Cover letter, Updated CV, ID Copy, Filled MSF CV TEMPLATE ANAESTHETIST (attached in the advert), and relevant certificates
Deadline for submission of application: 9th February 2024
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with in subject ANESTHESIA CLINICAL OFFICER, Full Name – downloadable using MSF CV TEMPLATE ANAESTHETIST_2018_final (Indicate only the Position and Your Full Name as part of the Subject Line of the email).
NOTE: If you do not submit the required documents your application will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MSF is an equal opportunity employer: all applicants will be equally considered under the same criteria and expectations. MSF does not charge any application/recruitment or training fees: if ever you are requested to pay any amount to process your application or access employment with MSF, do not pay and please inform the MSF administration on email: email@example.com as soon as possible.