COMESA Competition Commission
The COMESA Competition Commission (,the Commission”) is a regional body corporate established under Article 6 of the COMESA Competition Regulations (“the Regulations”) promulgated under Article 55 of the COMESA Treaty. The Commission is responsible for promoting competition and enhancing the welfare of consumers in the Common Market. The main functions of the Commission are to monitor markets and investigate anti-competitive business practices, control mergers and other forms of acquisitions in the Common Market and mediate disputes between the Member States concerning anti-competitive conduct. The Commission commenced its operations on 14th January, 2013 and is located in Lilongwe, Malawi. More information can be obtained from the Commission’s website http://www.comesacompetition.org/.
The Commission is looking to recruit Officers who are suitably qualified and experienced candidates to assist in the project Electronic Case Flow Management System and automation of its support systems. The temporary position is tenable at the Commission in Lilongwe, Malawi. Applications are therefore invited from suitably qualified and experienced professionals who are citizens or resident in the host country, Malawi.
JOB TITLE : Administrative Assistant
TENURE : A Temporary Staff member for one (1) year term subject to renewal. Extension of contract is subject to availability of funds, performance of the contract holder, continuity of the project and approval of
successive annual Work Plans by the COMESA Competition Commission.
SALARY : USD 1000 per month
NUMBER OF POSTS : One (1)
DUTY STATION : Lilongwe
REPORTS TO : Senior General Service Assistant
TYPE OF CONTRACT : Temporary Staff member (local)
Under the overall supervision of the Director and CEO of the Commission and the direct supervision of the Accountant, the Officer will be responsible for providing assistance in the automation project of the Procurement system and other workflow process of the Administration Unit. In addition to the above responsibility, the incumbent shall provide the following specific duties and responsibilities in support of the Administration Unit:
- Assisting the Senior General Services Officer, Senior Administration Assistant Officer including logistics, administration;
- Assisting the Finance Unit;
- Filing, cataloging, referencing, and labelling of the files/data;
- Recording, shelving, sorting and archiving of files/data;
- Maintaining digital backup or records of data and file;
- Assist the Commission with its projects undergoing by summarizing and collating information and setting up an information data base;
- Conducting any research, recommending and implementing best practices; and
- Conducting any other functions in relation to the foregoing.
- Perform all such things as are incidental to the foregoing and/or as may be delegated by the Senior General Service Assistant or the Director & Chief Executive Officer.
Requirements for the Post
- Academic Qualifications- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration
- Work Experience- Minimum of one-year experience in procurement and Administrative Assistant.
- Knowledge and work experience in a Regional or International organization and digitalization desirable.
- Experience in a competition authority is an added advantage
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to influence multi stakeholder processes;
- Excellent analytical skills particularly in interpreting, using, analysing and presenting data and evidence;
- Excellent Computer Skills;
- Demonstrated relationship management skills, including proven listening skills and sound business judgment;
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of
gender balance in staffing;
- Knowledge and understanding of the purpose and objectives of the COMESA Treaty and the COMESA Competition Regulations and Rules; and
- Knowledge of the operations of the COMESA Competition Commission and the COMESA regional integration agenda is highly recommended.
Working Language Requirement
Must be fluent in English and/or French and/or Arabic (speaking and writing). A combination of any two or all of these languages will be an added advantage.
Applications must be submitted by Wednesday, 7th February 2024 directly to the COMESA Competition Commission via email email@example.com with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org or with the physical address below:
The Director and Chief Executive Officer
COMESA Competition Commission
Kangombe House, 5th Floor – West Wing
P. O. Box 30742
Lilongwe 3, Malawi