The Technical Specialist – HIV Prevention supports the implementation of all prevention program aspects of Ana ndi Achinyamata Patsogolo in 8 districts in the Southern Region of Malawi. The role is critical in supporting development of an integrated child and youth strategy that is evidence-based, age, gender and HIV sensitive to address the comprehensive social asset building needs of OVC and AGYW. The HIV Prevention Technical Specialist will provide technical leadership for high-quality, evidence-based DREAMS programming and service delivery. He/she will inform the project’s social and structural change approaches to HIV prevention in high-prevalence settings, as well as appropriate combination prevention and youth livelihoods strategies and interventions. He/ she will have expertise in prevention activities for adolescents and youth, new prevention technologies, evidence-based implementation theory and methodologies, and effective social and behavioral change communication (SBCC), and biomedical approaches to HIV prevention. He/she will work closely with the Technical Specialists for CAFYW, Gender and GBV and Economic Strengthening.
This position will report to the Technical Lead AGYW and Prevention Services and will have the following responsibilities:
- Provide guidance to the ANAPA HIV Prevention program in the DREAMS Program as well as the OVC Program
- Provide technical leadership in developing strategies and interventions to improve the quality and responsiveness of DREAMS programming Focusing on vulnerable Adolescent Girls and Young Women (AGYW), including SBCC and bio-medical approaches to HIV prevention
- Oversee the development, implementation, and monitoring of DREAMS and AGYW livelihoods quality improvement activities.
- Monitor and report on DREAMS quality assessment, improvement, and assurance for community DREAMS programing and DREAMS in Tertiary Institutions
- Assist SI Technical Specialist with coordinating and evaluation activities to ensure data supports the achievement of program objectives
- Support coordination of DREAMS programming including planning, training, reporting in the DREAMS Districts
- Play a key liaison and coordination role in supervising the planning and implementation of all training, assessment, and materials development and distribution activities, ensuring that all activities are properly and timely performed and that outputs are accomplished and delivered according to the agreed work plans.
- Any other duties assigned by the AGYW and Prevention Services Technical Lead
Minimum Requirements and Experience required
- Master’s Degree in Public Health (with a focus on HIV/AIDS), Social Sciences or related – field
- A practical knowledge of the DREAMS program and layered services is preferred
- At least 8 years of experience in social and structural HIV prevention, DREAMS programming and service delivery in Malawi, including addressing social and structural change as well as combination prevention approaches.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the health context and structural issues in Malawi including socioeconomic, institutional and policy issues that are related to essential services in HIV prevention, and AGYW Health
- Demonstrated leadership and technical skills in HIV prevention with key target groups in Malawi, applying new prevention technologies, and utilizing effective health promotion approaches.
- Demonstrated technical skills in HIV prevention related AGYW Livelihoods programming, including employability and entrepreneurship programming with priority populations, including adolescents and young women.
- Demonstrated experience in the design and use of training curricula.
- Demonstrated experience in cultivating and sustaining working relationships with local structures and government.
- Strong written and oral communication and interpersonal skills.