Ministry of Finance
Government of Malawi
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANTS SELECTION)
(Appointment Type: Local Hire)
NAME OF PROJECT: REGIONAL CLIMATE RESILIENCE FOR EASTERN AND SOUTHERN AFRICA 2 (RCRP)
PROJECT ID: P181308
DATE OF ISSUE: 31st JANUARY 2023
TIME COMMITMENT: 100%
ACCOUNTABLE: PROJECT COORDINATOR
DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT: 5 YEARS
The Government of Malawi (GoM) through the Ministry of Finance (MoF) has applied for financing towards the cost of the Regional Climate Resilience for Eastern and Southern Africa 2 (RCRP). The EP&D intends to apply part of the proceeds of this financing to eligible payments under the contract for hiring various Project specialists and an intern.
The EP&D invites applications from suitably qualified and interested candidates to fill the position of Project Engineer, recruited as individual consultants following World Bank Regulations dated September 2023.
Position Title: Project Engineer (2 positions)
The Objectives of the Assignment
The overall objective of the assignment is to ensure that all technical engineering related issues connected with the smooth implementation of relevant sub-components are promptly addressed in adherence with the World Bank’s Regulations for IPF Borrowers dated September 2023. In addition, to make sure that issues of concern or for further attention are brought to the attention of the Project Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Engineer’s duties will include but will not be limited to:
- Coordinate all functions and activities related to infrastructure rehabilitation and reconstruction in all sectors across relevant sub-components under the RCRP;
- Be involved in infrastructure works designs, production of BoQs and engineering estimates, tendering processes and ensuring designs are in conformity with disaster resilient standards;
Conduct visits at all sites and recommend plans and
options for the rehabilitation and reconstruction of infrastructure;
- Guide and work closely with district engineers on coordinating infrastructure rehabilitation and reconstruction works, ensuring compliance with social and environmental safeguards;
- Conduct topographic surveys for the design of irrigation, drainage and flood mitigation activities;
- Participate in providing guidance in implementation of water supply and water resources and sub-components;
- Produce location maps and sketches if necessary for all engineering sites that need maintenance and repair within the project area of relevant sub-components;
- Work closely with service providers in different related activities to determine priority works and prepare preliminary designs for reconstruction and maintenance of critical infrastructure and other activities in the project area of relevant sub-components;
- Discuss design options with communities and relevant departments so that their inputs can be incorporated in the designs to ensure resilience;Prepare detailed designs and construction drawings for prioritized options for both rehabilitation and reconstruction;
- Prepare operation and maintenance manuals for the completed works in collaboration with the relevant sectors. Train and mentor users on the use of operation and maintenance manuals;
- Advise the Project Coordinator on all engineering matters that urgently require to be referred to the Project Task Team Leader.
- Isolate issues of engineering nature that need the attention of the Project Technical Committees and Project Steering Committee;
- Facilitate preparation of work plans and budgets for sectors with infrastructure rehabilitation activities to ensure relevance to outputs and outcomes of the project.
- Prepare schedule of works and materials for project activities in collaboration with sector ministries;
- Liaise with the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Specialist in producing reports for Project activities
The key deliverables shall include the following:
- All Project infrastructure designs reviewed on time;
- Location maps and sketches for all engineering sites that need maintenance and repair timely produced;
- Technical supervision of all construction works conducted to ensure quality;
- Changes to engineering construction works properly managed;
- Engineering technical advisory provided;
- Contractors’ and consultants’ payment claims for engineering works reviewed and assessed; and Engineering project progress reports and other reports timely compiled
The Project Engineer will report to the Project Coordinator on all administrative, operational and technical issues related to his/ her functions.
Qualification and experience
The candidate should meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Masters of Science in Civil Engineering, with a minimum of ten (10) years of hands-on work experience, of which a minimum of seven (7) years spent in senior technical positions in climate resilient infrastructure development, the water resources, irrigation, water supply, buildings and roads sectors in Malawi as well as in managing or coordinating the implementation of rehabilitation and/or construction works under donor-funded projects;
- Registration with an approved professional body;
- Specialization in hydraulic structures, and construction; strong knowledge of water supply and water resources management;
- Excellent communications, writing/reporting skills;
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint, etc.);
- Strong organizational, self-starting and communications skills;
- Good knowledge on and experience working with government institutions and organizations;
- Experience working with international and national consultants as well as international and local contractors is important;
- Proven experience working on internationally/donor-funded projects is required.
Duration of the assignment
The Project Engineer will be recruited for a period of five (5) years, with the contract renewable annually subject to satisfactory performance, need and availability of
Facilities to be provided by the Client
The following shall be provided by the Client: office space, furniture, office equipment, communication, and internet facilities. For all field related assignments, the Project shall provide transport and costs and other expenses (per diems etc.) related to the fieldwork.
Location of Employment
All the Project Specialists will be based at the Project Coordination Unit in Lilongwe but would be required to travel regularly to other relevant field offices where the RCRP is implementing its activities.
Mode of Application
Interested Individuals meeting the stated requirements should submit their Expressions of interest including updated detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) and copies of professional certificates must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, or by fax, or by e-mail) by Tuesday, 13th February, 2024 on or before 10:00 hours, local time.
The Project Coordinator,
Regional Climate Resilience Program for Eastern and Southern Africa 2 Project,
Department of Economic Planning and Development,
P. O. Box 30136,
(Attention: The Procurement Officer)
Alternatively, applications may be emailed to: email@example.com : /copy firstname.lastname@example.org