HAIL & COTTON (Malawi) Limited
HAIL & COTTON (Malawi) LIMITED, a fully owned subsidiary of HAIL & COTTON International B.V. based in
Netherlands, a company that supplies premium leaf tobacco and value-added services to manufacturers of tobacco products worldwide, is urgently looking for qualified candidates to fill the position of Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) Coordinator.
The main purpose of the position
The ESG Coordinator will be responsible for developing, implementing, and overseeing environmental and social Programs/initiatives and procedures in Malawi, aligned to the global strategy and directly reporting to the ESG Manager.
You will provide technical expertise on key issues related to environmental and social impact assessment and on sustainability risks in the design, preparation, implementation and supervision of Hail and Cotton (MW) operations taking into consideration best industry practices and standards. The role of this position also combines elements of coordination of
sustainability programs in close collaboration with Agronomy, the farmers, as well as the Global ESG & Sustainability function, to ensure alignment with the global strategy and the corporate policies – ESG data collection, accurate data analysis and support global reporting of corporate achievements, for stakeholders and compliance. Purpose of this job will entail being responsible for Hail & Cotton’s (MW) overall design, development, and implementation of its sustainability and ESG ambitions, and commitments internally and externally to enhance positive impact and reputation on sustainability issues.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ROLES
- Implementation of ESG and sustainability initiatives and ensure alignment with the strategy and compliance requirements.
- Provide technical and supervisory support to the Agronomy teams and farmers as they implement ESG Programs from time to time.
- Manage and implement STP according to the program’s guidelines for continuous improvement, as well as ALP, GAP, or any other corporate global program.
- Implement a farm monitoring system for an effective risk management, as part of the corporate STP due diligence cycle, which includes the following steps: identification, prioritization, remediation, measuring, communication, to ensure continuous improvement, positive impact, and good corporate reputation.
- Train and build capacity of field technicians, farmers, community members and team members in sustainability and ESG related matters.
- Support for development, implementation, and measurement of activities for Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and other initiatives in Malawi.
- Ensure systematic and accurate collection of data and analysis to meet HAIL & Cotton (Mw) requirements and completion of ESG & sustainability monthly annual reports.
- Work closely with the Agronomy Field Staff in the development and implementation of ESG initiatives as outlined in the Agronomy Strategic Plan.
- Constantly and proactively seek opportunities for improvements in ESG and sustainability programs and proactively interact and communicate with Global ESG & Sustainability function to ensure alignment.
- Support innovation and create effective systems for identifying desired impact outcomes and measuring actual impact.
- Monitor the effectiveness of implementation of the appropriate ESMS (Policies, Process, Procedures and Guides) and provide for their updating in line with changes in laws, regulations, and corporate directives.
- Any other duty that may be assigned from time to time.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors in related fields preferably Sustainability, Environmental or Social Science, Business Administration or Agronomy
- 5 years of related experience that includes direct experience with ESG programs in a corporate environment, including working with reporting and ratings frameworks, is required.
- Strong stakeholder management, analytical and critical thinking, and interpersonal skills
- Experience and understanding of the tobacco supply industry.
- Excellent organization and time management skills to manage multiple
- Sound judgment and professionalism with the ability to make independent decisions.
- Computer proficiency, strong analytical and organizational skills with close attention to detail
- Strong written, verbal and presentation skills using all Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to execute tasks independently and maintain confidentiality with sensitive data.
- Excellent business analytics, relationship management, strategy development, problem solving and change management skills.
An attractive package will be offered to the successful candidates. Applications with a detailed curriculum vitae (CV), copies of certificates, and names and contact details of three traceable and reputable referees should reach the undersigned no later than Monday, 5 February, 2024.
The Human Resources Manager
HAIL & COTTON (Malawi) LIMITED
P.O. Box 40214
Please clearly mark on the envelope/email ‘ESG Coordinator’ HAIL & COTTON is an equal opportunity employer, however, only short-listed applicants who meet the above specifications will be contacted regarding interviews.