PATH is a global nonprofit dedicated to achieving health equity. With more than 40 years of experience forging multisector partnerships and with expertise in science, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales up innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing heath challenges.
PATH through its Center of Digital and Data Excellence brings together expertise in digital health and data from around the organization to promote the integration of digital technologies and data best practices. PATH builds stronger ties between digital and data to provide immediate, powerful ways to increase the cost-efficiency and quality of health services while simultaneously helping to reduce long-standing inequities in health care.
PATH seeks to support Malawi’s, Ministry of Health in achieving its Digital Health Transformation agenda. The Health Sector Strategic Plan 2022 – 2030 (HSSP III) has pillar #6 as a priority for digitalization of health services. Within this pillar is health sector reform #8 which is implementation of electronic health record management information. As such the Ministry is implementing the hospital wide electronic health record system. PATH seeks to support the Ministry of Health in hiring a Software Developer who will be seconded to the Ministry’s Digital Health Division to help meet this objective.
The successful person will report to the Head of Product Development and Sustainability within DHD. However, the person will maintain links with PATH for additional administrative oversight.
- Write automated tests to ensure that all use cases and user stories are adequately covered before the Software is deployed
- Adding features to current systems, make modifications, and debug errors
- Identify and implement interoperability requirements for digital health systems
- Assess technical feasibility of user requirements, develop user specifications and system architecture documents
- Model patient flows and processes for the integrated Hospital Wide Electronic Health Record System.
- Identify issues, risks and benefits of existing and proposed solutions and outline business impacts
- Adhere to timelines, deliverables and set standards for software development.
- Ensure high levels of system performance, availability, sustainability and security.
- Any other related duties requested by the Digital Health Division.
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor ́s Degree in Computer Science, Informatics, Information Systems, Information Technology, Medical informatics, Mathematical Sciences or any relevant qualification. A Master ́s Degree will be an added advantage.
- A minimum of 3 years professional experience in a similar position
- At least 3 years professional experience in programming in Java for app development
- A minimum of 3 years professional experience in at least three of the following areas:
- Experience with DevOps technologies such as Docker (Deployment), Jenkins/Circle CI (Continuous Integration), Zero MQ (Messaging) and Nginx (Load Balancing) will be an added advantage
- At least one year of professional experiences in developing interoperability layers using FHIR or HL7
- Developing and managing Health Information Systems technologies such as DHIS2, OpenMRS
- Software development and implementation for health care delivery applications
- Systems analysis and design, database management, version control management and deployment
- Experiences with interoperability and data sharing protocols/standards including REST, OAuth, JSON, XML, or SDMX, among others will be an added advantage
- Strong team player and coordination skills with the desire to work with people from diverse backgrounds
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
- Ability to contribute at high level meetings by explaining technical concepts in layman’s terms
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed