REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
(CONSULTING SERVICES – INDIVIDUAL SELECTION)
Name of Country: Malawi
Name of Project: Skills for A Vibrant Economy (SAVE) project
Project ID/Loan No: TVT/WB/SAVE/1
Assignment title: Project Assistant – SAVE Project
Reference No: MW-TEVETA–INDV
Date of Issue: 7th November, 2023
The Government of Malawi with support from the World Bank is implementing the Skills for a Vibrant Economy (SAVE) Project at an estimated cost of US$100 million through the International Development Association (IDA) financing. The Project Development Objective is to increase equitable access to market-relevant skills in priority areas of the economy, especially for females and vulnerable youth. The project goal is to be achieved through the following approaches:
- improving access to market-relevant skills programs in priority areas of the economy;
- enhancing equity in skills training with the empowerment of women, girls and vulnerable youth through targeted skills in priority areas of the economy; and
- creating a conducive policy environment & strengthening systems and institutional capacity for skills development.
Key implementing agencies are the Ministry of Education as lead and the Ministry of Labour as Co-chair. Under the SAVE project, the TEVET Authority is implementing component 2 which has the following subcomponents: Competitive Grants Scheme (CGS) targeting 30 TEVET Provider Institutions (10 Private providers, 10 Community Technical Colleges and 10 Community Skills Development Centres); the Inclusive Bursary Scheme targeting the provision of bursaries to 5000 poor vulnerable youths especially females and TEVET Systems Strengthening.
TEVET Authority, therefore, intends to use part of the funds to recruit four Project Assistants to support in the implementation of component 2 implemented activities.
1. Objective of the Assignment
To coordinate and support effective implementation, monitoring and evaluation of Skills for a Vibrant (SAVE) project sub- components implemented by the TEVET Authority.
2. Scope of the Assignment
- Project Assistants will be the focal persons to ensure that Project activities are implemented in accordance with approved budget and work plans;
- Participate in the development of SAVE Annual Work plans and Budgets and Results Framework
- Generate quarterly and annual project implementation reports
- Work in collaboration with respective TEVET Authority officers (i.e., Apprenticeship Specialists and Finance Officers) in implementing project activities under each subcomponent.
The Project Assistants shall achieve the following deliverables and outputs:
Inclusive Bursary Scheme
- participate in Bursary Awarding Committee
(BAC) meetings in Technical Colleges.
- undertake head counting of bursary beneficiaries in technical colleges
- collect and consolidate data for identified eligible bursary beneficiaries.
- facilitate timely payment of bursaries to beneficiaries
- support implementation of SSM in technical colleges.
- monitor and report progress of SSM implementation.
- report bursary status to RSCM and HP&D.
Competitive Grants Scheme
- participate in planning, scheduling and implementing activities in SAVE grant recipient institutions.
- work with M&E to track project deliverables using appropriate tools
- Support SAVE grant recipient institutions to adhere to implementation guidelines and policies.
- ensure Environmental Social Safeguards (ESS) are incorporated in planned of interventions. monitor and report on infrastructure development progress in collaboration with PIU and Local Councils. monitor and report implementation of environmental Social Safeguards (ESS) during project implementation.
- participate in procurement of project goods and services and
- ensure procurement guidelines are adhered to. monitor and report on provision of attachment places for trainees in local industries and enterprises.
- support M&E specialists in monitoring project activities.
- support data entry in TEVET Information Management System (TIMS).
- monitor and support implementation of ODel (Open Distance and e-Learning in technical colleges.
- support M&E team to manage project data and generate periodic project implementation and monitoring reports using GEMS.
- work with Technical Colleges to report challenges encountered during project implementation for quick redress by relevant authorities.
- respond and provide support on emerging issues.
Project Assistants based at the three TEVET Authority Regional Service Centers (RSCs) shall report to the Regional Service Centre Manager while the one based at the Secretariat shall report to Head of Projects & Development.
5. Duration of the Assignment
The contract for Project Assistants shall be for one year, renewable for the next contract period of the project subject to satisfactory performance following annual reviews and subject to availability of funding. Remuneration shall be negotiable based on candidate’s qualifications and experience and the available budget.
6. Professional Qualifications and Experience
The Project assistants shall have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Science, Rural Development, Economics, Agriculture economics or related field.
- At least 2-3 years working experience in Project Management and Coordination;
- Have demonstrable skills in computerized Project Planning, Implementation, and Monitoring and Evaluation;
- Have knowledge and understanding of the TEVET Sector;
- Be a self-motivated team-player and of high integrity;
- Have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience with World Bank and /or donor funded, and public sector projects will be an advantage.
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
The attention of interested consultants is drawn to section III, paragraphs, 184.108.40.206 and 3.17 of the World Bank’s “Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers” dated November 2020(“Project Regulations”) setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
A consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant (INDV) selection method set out in the procurement Regulations.
7. Submission of Expressions of Interest
Interested individuals meeting the stated requirements should submit their Expression of interest including updated detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of educational and professional certificates to the address below preferably by email (or in person) by Friday, 24th November, 2023 before 16:00 hours, local time.
The Executive Director