The Embassy of Japan,
Petroda Glass House,
P.O. Box 30780,
Tel: 0999 985 358
For inquiries please contact [email protected]
The Government of Japan is offering teacher training scholarships for Malawian secondary school teachers who wish to conduct research on school education at Japanese universities. Upon successful completion of the 1.5 year teacher training course, the scholarship recipient will be awarded a certificate. The recipient must then return to Malawi immediately and resume their teaching work, and put into practice what he/she has learned from the training.
Please be aware that depending on the COVID-19 situation, the 2021 Japanese Government Scholarship is subject for schedule change, halt or even cancellation.
Application forms and guidelines for the scholarship can be downloaded from the following link:
(Embassy will not give out application forms, but hard copies are available at EDM offices /DEM Offices/Ministry of
Education/ Lilongwe National Library for photocopy purposes.)
By Friday, February 5, 2021, completed forms (hard copy) should arrive at the Embassy of Japan, Petroda Glass
House, along the M1 Road, near the Area 18 roundabout, or by mail to P.O. Box 30780, Lilongwe 3. Do not email your
- Applicants must be graduates of universities or teacher training schools and have worked as teachers at secondary educational institutions or teacher training schools (secondary school level) excluding universities, for five years or more as of October 1, 2021.
- Applicants must return and resume their teaching work in Malawi immediately after the scholarship ends.
- Applicants must be born on or after April 2, 1986.
Candidates will be further screened through:
- Written Exam: Conducted on Saturday, February 20, 2021 in Lilongwe.
- Oral Interview: Conducted on Saturday, March 6, 2021 in Lilongwe.
The venue and time will be communicated only to successful applicants in due course.
- This training is conducted only in the universities and their courses listed in the Course Guide of Teacher Training
Program (available at https://www.mext.go.jp/content/20201217-mxt_gakushi02-000011717_10.pdf).
- Candidates are required to go through the guidelines. Incomplete application will not be processed. Guideline
available at: https://www.facebook.com/1404590083152797/posts/2873210076290783/?d=n
- You can refer to the past exam questions for Japanese and English at https://studyinjapan.go.jp/en/planning/