Nutrition 4 Health Activity
Scholarship opportunities for Postgraduate studies at LUANAR
The Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR) received financial support from USAID (the United States Agency for International Development) to implement a 5-year project entitled Leveraging Local Capacity to Strengthen Health Service Delivery – Human Resource for Health (HRH) # 3 – Nutrition 4 Health Activity in Malawi. Through the project, LUANAR aims to strengthen national capacity to accelerate effective responses to nutrition problems that affect the health of Malawians, which consequently stagnate national development. Some of the project outcomes that LUANAR will achieve through the project are: i) Superior personnel graduating from LUANAR in the areas of nutrition, dietetics and food science; and ii) Enhanced capacity to undertake and publish ethically-sound research in nutrition, dietetics and food science.
Therefore, the Faculty of Food and Human Sciences is inviting applications from highly motivated and suitably qualified persons for two year scholarships in support of postgraduate studies commencing in 2022 and 2023.
The scholarships will support studies in the following programmes:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Dietetics (7 scholarships)
- Master of Science in in Food Science and Technology (3 scholarships)
- Master of Science in Human Nutrition (3 scholarships)
QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES
Eligibility to apply should be based on the following:
- The applicant should be a Malawian citizen.
- Applicants for the Master’s degree programmes must have been admitted and presently studying in their respective programmes at LUANAR. Those that reserved places are not eligible.
- Applicants who are interested in the Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Dietetics should apply for admission to enroll in January 2023, and separately apply for scholarship.
- Outstanding undergraduate record with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 from their BSc degree.
- Final BSc research project grade of no less than a B.
- Self-motivated and creative.
- Proficiency in the use of knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, a statistical package.
- Good communication and analytical skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- High degree of personal integrity.
CONDITIONS OF THE SCHOLARSHIP
Applicants who will be offered the scholarships will be expected to abide to the following conditions:
- Be committed to strictly undertake their studies within the specified 2-year study period.
- Be required to remain at Bunda Campus throughout their study period except when fulfilling other academic requirements.
- Cannot continue working or take up a new job during the 2 years study period.
- Undertake their MSc research project within the research themes or priority areas identified by the Faculty.
- During their course of study, contribute specified hours of work in the Faculty of Food and Human Sciences.
Applicants should include the following in the application package:
- One page motivation letter describing one’s academic and research backgrounds, and plans for graduate study under the scholarship.
- Undergraduate academic transcripts.
- Copies of certificates.
- Admission letter for the relevant programme of study at LUNAR (an exception will be made for applicants in the Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Dietetics programme).
- Detailed curriculum vitae with three traceable referees, at least one being academic.
The application package should be sent to the address below not later than 19th August 2022.
The University Registrar,
Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR),
P.O. Box 219,
The envelope containing the application package should be cleared marked: USAID-Nutrition 4 Health Activity Scholarships
Post expires at 4:30pm on Friday August 19th, 2022