Website World University Service of Canada - WUSC Malawi
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT: Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Position Title : Market Research and Information Management Officer (Volunteer)
Partner : ACADES
Position Location : Lilongwe
Reports to : Sector Program Officer, Malawi
Contract term : 10 Months
World University Service of Canada (WUSC) is a Canadian non-profit organization that works to create opportunities for education, employment and empowerment for under-privileged youth and women worldwide. WUSC is implementing the Uniterra Program in Malawi, funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC). Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program that contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities.
The Associated Center for Agro-based Development (ACADES) is a membership association of mainly youth clubs and organizations in agribusiness in Malawi. It has a vision for a vibrant, productive and youth-driven agricultural and agro-industrial sector. Toward this, the mission is to promote opportunities that support, connect and increase the number of youth in agribusiness. They aim to achieve this through skills development, policy advocacy, resource mobilization and networking. ACADES’s main focus is on irrigation and mechanized agriculture, agro-processing and value addition, policy advocacy and youth empowerment.
The Market Research and Information Management Officer will contribute to developing the market research capacities of ACADES and support the development of information systems capable of collecting and analyzing data for sub-sector management.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support sector research on issues affecting agriculture sector including analyzing the existing investment opportunities, current market situation and existing challenges etc;
- Support market research on strategic product development and market diversification, advise on potential opportunities of interest to women and youth;
- Work with staff to develop and provide gender-inclusive training to youth processors and producers in value addition, branding, marketing and pricing;
- Analyze market research data and advise on data processing methods in the interest of increasing opportunities for farmers
- Assist in the development of new information management systems, in addition to enhancing existing databases to improve reporting and information management;
- Work closely with the Monitoring and Evaluation team to improve data collection and information management;
- Ensure the participation of women, as well as their representation, in all activities and all program benefits; and
- Write reports required by ACADES and the Uniterra program.
- Degree and/or training in Agribusiness Management, Economics, Marketing or a related discipline
- Minimum 3 years of experience in market research or database management
- Experience working in product development
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in cross-cultural environments
- Demonstrated coaching or mentorship skills, including tact and professionalism
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to new situations
- Written and oral fluency in English
Application letter with detailed CV should be submitted to the address indicated below or email to: email@example.com by close of business Friday May 17, 2019. Female candidates are encouraged to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be acknowledged.
The Country Director
World University Service of Canada-Malawi
P.O. Box 30268, Capital City
LILONGWE 3, Malawi