Making Earth Cooler
Job Description – WeForest field manager, Mulanje
WeForest field manager, Mulanje
WeForest is a fast-growing international non-profit organization with headquarters in Belgium and legal entities in France, USA, Ethiopia and Zambia. Our aim is to demonstrate, through the restoration of entire regions, that well planned reforestation can be the solution to today’s biggest challenge: climate change. The organization is promoting Forest Landscape Restoration best practices, creating a movement, engaging the greatest brands and their millions of customers to act positively. Our activities are growing and the organization is urgently looking for the best possible talent to scale up our project in Malawi.
WeForest started with tree planting and reforestation activities in 2009, and has currently 9 projects across 6 countries in its active portfolio. WeForest started working in Malawi in 2019, focusing on restoration of the endemic Mulanje cedar on top of Mount Mulanje. For this, WeForest is collaborating with a local NGO (MMCT), the Forest Department (FRIM) and different other stakeholders.
WeForest is looking for an experienced field manager to develop, implement and monitor forest restoration and livelihood projects in the Mount Mulanje Biosphere reserve. The field manager will oversee the different project components and, through engagement with local NGO’s (mainly MMCT), smallholder farmers, businesses and local government, work towards a long-term, sustainable and scalable forest landscape restoration project. Specifically, the field manager will work in and help restore the Mount Mulanje Forest Reserve (65,000 ha), approx. 65 km Southeast of Blantyre, Malawi. The field manager will be working from an office in the district capital of Mulanje.
Terms & Conditions
- Start date: 22/03/2021
- Duration of Contract: Up to end of year 2021, with potential to extend subject to performance and funding availability.
- Probation Period: 3 months
- Salary: Competitive package for a small NGO, based on prior experience.
- Location: Mulanje, Malawi, with significant travel within the biosphere reserve and occasional travel within the country. The position is primarily field-based.
- Working hours: Full-time, working Monday to Friday, up to a maximum of 42 hours per week. Hours will vary depending on project needs and flexibility is essential.
Job Title: Field Manager, Mulanje
Reporting to: Mulanje Project Coordinator
Responsible for: People and Project management
Project management and coordination
1. Deliver the Mount Mulanje Forest restoration project on-time and on-budget
2. Develop and lead relevant work plans, management plans and protocols
3. Oversee planning, budgeting and implementation
4. Liaise with local, district and national authorities as required
5. Work closely with relevant stakeholders, especially MMCT, and ensure meaningful collaboration and communication
6. Efficient and effective communication with your line manager, workforce, local communities, Forestry Department and other relevant stakeholders
7. Efficient and transparent operational weekly, monthly and quarterly reporting to line manager
8. Lead weekly and monthly structured team meetings with in-country team to assess lessons learned, progress made and potential improvements to communication and processes
Taking a technical leadership role in the following project components:
1. Develop and lead review of co-management areas, by lining out roles and responsibilities with project partner MMCT, and by engaging in-depth with forest-dependent communities
2. Working towards sustainable forest management in the co-management areas through supervising beekeeping activities, lining out honey income benefit sharing in a participatory way and facilitating beekeeping trainings, overseeing law enforcement and ensuring assisted natural regeneration of miombo in co-management areas
3. Advise and supervise plant nurseries (cedar, companion species, pine and other species) with communities and schools and ensure a sustainable supply of high quality tree germplasm
4. Develop and lead collaboration with hydro-power partner to restore catchment concession area, including development and implementation of law enforcement plan and community-engagement plan
5. Increase education and environmental awareness through school programs
6. In consultation and collaboration with stakeholders, drive value-chain development for non-timber forest products (incl. beekeeping)
With a supporting role in the following project components:
1. Monitoring and evaluation: oversee data collection, update data tools (GIS Cloud projects or similar), conduct data analysis and provide M&E updates (reporting confer M&E protocol) for all project components
2. Mulanje cedar planting and related management activities on the mountain
3. Pine plantation management with Sukambizi Association Trust
1. If and when required: assist in the development of additional forest restoration projects in Malawi
· An M.Sc., or equivalent experience in, Forestry, Forest ecology and conservation, Economics, Rural development, Agro-ecology or equivalent
· Fluent in English and Chichewa (both speaking and writing)
· Minimum 5 years’ relevant experience in community-based forest restoration, management and conservation in Sub-Saharan Africa, preferably Malawi
· Demonstrable experience in livelihood scheme development for small-scale farmers, community-based natural resource management (including forest co-management) and business development
· Excellent management, coordination, training, problem-solving, reporting and communication skills
· Flexible in terms of traveling and living conditions
· Excellent team player
· Ability to develop and manage complex budgets
· Experience in developing log frames and work plans and delivering projects against milestones and targets
· Ability to use and understand GIS
· Motorbike driving license
· Track record with gender-sensitive participatory, governance and inclusion approaches
· Track record in grant applications
· Track record in writing scientific articles
Please contact Ruben Foquet email@example.com with your full CV and motivation letter by 07/03/2021 the latest, mentioning the job title in the subject of the email. Due to the anticipated number of applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We thank you in advance for your interest. WeForest is an equal opportunity employer, we celebrate diversity and do not discriminate.