Are you aiming to work for an organization where it is worthwhile investing your personality, your skills and your time? Are you looking for a job that is exciting and has clear goals? Welcome to Welthungerhilfe!
We are one of the largest and most respected private organizations for development cooperation and humanitarian aid in Germany. As a politically and confessionally independent organization, our value-oriented actions are always based on ethical principles. Our vision is clear: “Zero Hunger by 2030” – If you want to become part of our global mission to end hunger around the world, we look forward to receiving your application as:
WASH Officer* in Dzaleka
The position is to be filled as soon as possible, with an initial contract duration of one year. There are very good prospects for an extension. The employment location will be Dzaleka, Malawi. The position is paid according to local pay grade.
As WASH Officer your main objective will be to manage and supervise WHH WASH activities in Dzaleka refugee camp.
- Conduct the necessary day-to-day activities to ensure all WASH facilities are in good working order to supply the camp’s population as per minimum SPHERE and UNHCR standards, and as per the project document.
- Work closely with the DRR field coordinator on DRR and related WASH issues.
- Timely submit plans, strategies, and proposed budgets for upkeep and improvements of the Dzaleka WASH infrastructure in collaboration with the field coordinator.
- Work closely with the Dzaleka WASH team, construction supervisor, and sanitation/hygiene officer to ensure complementarity of all WASH activities.
- Carry out sensitization, awareness creation, and mobilization of beneficiaries on demand-driven WASH activities.
- Facilitate WASH-related training sessions, events, workshops, and meetings, working with relevant stakeholders and partners in the Dzaleka camp.
- Ensure active coordination of activities with UNHCR, camp management, and other stakeholders for efficient project implementation.
- Ensure effective, high-quality, and cost-effective implementation of the activities in the given project area, working towards meeting the expected outputs and outcomes as per the project document.
- Together with the construction supervisor carry out inspection of sanitation facilities, boreholes with handpumps, solar water pumps, water distribution kiosks, and other water supply systems in close cooperation with the UNHCR WASH team and camp management to ensure timely maintenance and repairs.
- Conduct compliance inspection of refugee community amenities including water distribution systems and sanitation facilities to determine that all facilities comply with minimum SPHERE and UNHCR WASH standards.
- Conduct monthly water sampling to be tested in the WHH lab in Lilongwe.
- Ensure that all solar water pumping systems have residual chlorine levels checked regularly and chlorine tablets installed in time.
- Work with WASH and environmental volunteers to ensure the sanitation and hygiene component of the project is adhered to.
- Work in liaison with the government extension staff, specifically, the Health Assistants (HAS’s), and Village Health Teams (VHT’s), and play a lead role in mapping out sanitation improvement.
- Mobilization of POCs/communities to clean and maintain the camp environment. established/rehabilitated/protected water sources and Sanitation facilities.
- Collaborate with relevant Internal and External technical experts on issues related to WASH
- Commitment to international and humanitarian NGO codes, standards, and practices.
- Oversee the work day to day waste collection contractor to ensure camp cleanliness and effective use of waste collection trucks.
- Ensure that the waste collection land-fill site is not entered by unauthorized persons and children.
- Ensure that the composting team at the landfill site adheres to technical good practice, and is not producing sub-standard compost.
- Document achievements and lessons learned from the project activities.
- In close consultation with the Project field Coordinator, work with relevant government institutions, partners, NGOs, and CBOs ensuring good communications and an enabling environment for the project to operate in.
- In close consultation with the Project field Coordinator facilitate visits of UNHCR and other officials visiting the camp.
- Prepare monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/ reports as required.
- In close consultation with the Project field Coordinator prepare budget overviews and plans.
- university degree in Water and Sanitation, Environmental Sciences, or any related field
- More than 3 years of relevant work experience in the management and implementation of WASH activities.
- A background in WASH is a plus.
- Willingness to engage with refugees
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to coordinate and communicate efficiently
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale.
Please send your application via our online recruiting system by December 14, 2023.
Welthungerhilfe is committed to fighting terrorism in all its activities. Accordingly, any applicant who is offered employment will be screened against lists of known and suspected terrorists.
*Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.