Under the overall guidance of the Scientist and Country Research Lead, the incumbent will assist in carrying out project activities including field works, database management and analyses, training, meetings and workshops.
- Implement and maintain systems for data capturing, storage, retrieval and analysis of projects.
- Contribute to the development of research ideas, preparation of progress reports and final reports pertaining to projects.
- Conduct field activities and surveys.
- Carry out effective monitoring and evaluation for projects and ensure data is recorded properly.
- Preparing and maintaining material on science projects.
- Support science publication development through compilation of reports and literature references relevant to the technical reports of the projects.
This job is open to Malawi Nationals with the following skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Agriculture, Aquaculture and Fisheries or its equivalent. A higher education and/or experience in rural development is a plus.
- Ability to conduct research, plan and implement technical programmes.
- Ability to draft research concepts, reports and publications.
- Relevant working experience in aquaculture/fisheries and/or rural development, with proven experience in project implementation, monitoring and coordination.
- Ability to think clearly and analytically, setting priority, meeting deadlines, solving problems and making timely decisions.
- Proficient in English language both verbal and written.
- Knowledge in Microsoft Office applications as well as SSPS, GPS etc.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position with annual salary ranging from MWK 6,354,560 – MWK 6,741,560 per annum. WorldFish’s NRS shall receive comprehensive benefits including (but not limited to) insurance coverage for staff and eligible dependents, and pension / provident fund contribution.
This position will be based at WorldFish’s office in Zomba, Malawi. Interviews are expected to be held in May 2019. Only shortlisted candidate will be notified and expected to attend the interview. The successful candidate should be available to commence as soon as possible for an initial 7 months fixed term contract, with the possibility of contract renewal depending on performance and funding situation.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and experience is valued. We support individual performance and potential in achieving our organizational goals and mission. We are an equal opportunities employer and strongly encourage women and nationals from developing countries to apply.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information online latest by 19 May 2019:
- A cover letter including a 2-page (max) description of why you are an ideal candidate and what you would bring to the role;
- A current curriculum vitae;
- Names and contacts (telephone and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following category: direct supervisor, internal peer and/or direct report.
Screening will start immediately, and will continue until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applicants for WorldFish positions, we appreciate all interest, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.