Mzuzu University (MZUNI) is a Public University established by the Laws of Malawi Cap 30:09 (Mzuzu University Act No. 12 of 1997). Currently, the University has six faculties namely: Education; Environmental Sciences; Health Sciences; Tourism, Hospitality and Management; Science, Technology and Innovation; and Humanities and Social Sciences. It is a dual-mode University offering its courses through face-to-face and Open, Distance and e-Learning (ODeL) teaching and learning modes. It also offers some of its programmes on block, week-end and vacation release.
MZUNI has its main campus located in Mzuzu City at Luwinga which also houses its ODeL Main Hub. It has a Tourism and Hospitality Skills Application Centre located at Dunduzu Campus within the City. The University has a physical presence in all the four regions of Malawi through its purpose-built and well equipped ODeL Satellite Learning Centres in Karonga, Lilongwe, Balaka and Mulanje. It is also working towards establishing its future main campus at Choma within Mzuzu. As a growing University, it has a number of infrastructure development projects being implemented and being developed.
The University invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position of Procurement and Asset Disposal Manager to support the strategic growth of the University and provide efficient and effective procurement and asset disposal services for the University operations.
Reporting to the Vice-Chancellor, the successful candidate will have the overall responsibility of coordinating the procurement of goods, works and services and disposal of assets of the University.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributing to the creation and implementation of best practice procurement vision, strategy, policies, processes, and procedures to aid and improve operational performance;
- Providing leadership and guidance in all aspects of procurement of goods, work, and services;
- Preparing procurement plans through assessment of needs, corporate plans and budgets, corporate priorities and forecasts;
- Preparing cost estimates, budgets, and forecasts for the Procurement Department and reporting on trends, variances, challenges, and risks;
- Managing and coordinating the procurement activities of the University in strict compliance with the Public Procurement and Disposal of Assets Act, the Regulations, Desk Instructions and current best practices in the profession;
- Setting and maintaining professional and ethical standards throughout each stage of the procurement cycle, from needs assessment, bid solicitation, evaluation awards, contract administration, record keeping and supplier appraisal;
- Preparing and reviewing bidding documents and bid evaluation reports for the acquisition of goods, works, and services;
- Providing objective expert advice on procurement policy practices to Management and the Internal Procurement and Disposal of Assets Committee (IPDC);
- Providing secretarial services to the IPDC, as well as being the link between the University and the Public Procurement and Disposal of Assets Authority (PPDA);
- Drafting procurement contracts for goods, works, and services, as well as managing contracts;
- Developing, reviewing and overseeing the implementation of the procurement policy, guidelines;
- Developing, reviewing and overseeing the implementation of the fixed asset acquisition, management and disposal policy;
- Planning, organizing, and advertising all approved non-economical fixed assets identified for disposal readiness to ensure accurate accounting records, transparency and competitiveness;
- Planning and executing fixed asset verification, investigating, reporting on variances, making necessary recommendations to resolve discrepancies, and updating the fixed asset disposal register;
- Assessing the University’s current fixed asset status, depreciation value, and projected investment goals;
- Setting departmental objectives/KPIs and reviewing and assessing the ongoing performance of direct reports;
- Supervising, coaching, and developing staff to meet agreed objectives and deliver best-practice results, added value, and continuous improvements; and
- Ensuring fulfillment of performance levels as provided in the Performance Management Policy and Customer Service Charter.
Candidates must have the following:
- A Master’s and a Bachelor’s Degree in Procurement or Supply Chain Management or related fields obtained from a reputable and accredited institution of higher learning;
- A minimum of five (5) years of senior-level professional experience ina large organization; and
- Membership of the Malawi Institute of Procurement and Supply (MIPS).
Desired Attributes and Competencies
- Understanding of national policies and regulations governing procurement and asset disposal;
- Good knowledge of procurement’s key drivers and key success factors;
- Experience with budget management;
- Strategic alignment skills with logical thinking;
- Results-orientated with the ability to plan and deliver against deadlines;
- Multi-tasking and time-management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks;
- Excellent relationship management skills with the ability to engage, negotiate, and manage key stakeholders and suppliers;
- Excellent communication skills; and
- Keen attention to detail and accuracy.
Terms and Conditions of Service
This appointment will be on a three (3)-year performance-based contract, renewable in line with MZUNI’s Terms and Conditions of Service and the Performance Management Policy and Procedures.
MZUNI will provide an attractive salary and benefits to the successful candidate in accordance with its emolument structure.
Mode of Application
The application should include an up-to-date curriculum vitae (CV), copies of academic and professional qualifications as well as names and contact details of three traceable referees.
Applicants submitting hard copy applications should indicate the following details on the envelope:
JOB VAC: Procurement and Asset Disposal Manager
Private Bag 201
Or Electronic Submission:
Electronic submission of the application should be sent as attachments in PDF or MS Word format to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of the application should read: Job Vac: Procurement and Asset Disposal Manager.
To reach the University not later than Friday, 8th December 2023. Note that only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
MZUNI is an equal opportunity employer and therefore encourages applications from qualified men, women and persons living with disabilities.