Medical Care Development International (MCDI)
The Malaria Clinical Technical Advisor/Specialist for the PMI Impact Malaria Malawi will act as MCDI’s key representative within the project and will be responsible for overseeing the planning, coordination, and execution of all malaria activities at the regional, district, and facility-level for improved delivery of malaria-related services. S/he will liaise with and maintain productive collaborative relationships with in-country partners such as 1) PMI Impact Malaria Consortium (PSI/MCDI/Jhpiego/ UCSF/Global Health and Sciences/ MEI; 2) PMI/Country team and other PMI implementing partners; 3) Ministry of Health/National Malaria Control Program and other departments; 4) other stakeholders working in malaria, such as local NGOs, private sector representatives, WHO country office, etc.
Project: PMI Impact Malaria
Location: Lilongwe, Malawi
Grade Level: Grade 11
Position Type: Full-Time
Supervisor: Senior Program Manager, PMI IMPACT Malaria
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide Case Management training and continued adaptation of materials for the enhanced case management (clinical and diagnostic) supervision process: Materials for the malaria case management (clinical and diagnostic) supervision process, based on mentoring concepts that will be drafted and vetted as needed with the NMCP.
- Facilitating the development of laboratory services in Malawi to support and strengthen malaria diagnosis,
- Providing laboratory technical support to PMI Impact Malaria/MCDI including overseeing laboratory technical activities and ensuring high quality of project implementation in Malawi.
- Developing and implementing training, continuing education and supervisory programs for laboratory staff to strengthen quality malaria diagnosis in Malawi, including the development of health learning materials.
- Participating in the development of national laboratory policies and guidelines addressing malaria diagnostics and their utilization.
- Developing and strengthening national quality assurance structures, systems and programs for laboratory staff to support malaria diagnostic activities.
- Participating, cooperating and liaising with all MCDI partners, and with governments, institutions of higher learning, universities, schools of medicine and related fields, and other health agencies, both national and international with the purpose of developing and promoting the PMI impact Malaria project.
- Representing PMI IM and MCDI at national, regional and international fora.
- Assist in the dissemination of the malaria case management (diagnostic and treatment) policy
- Track and report on accomplishment of activities in the work plan
- Submit weekly written /or verbal (during weekly calls) updates on the work undertaken under each of the areas described above, significant achievements, challenges, and plans for the coming week.
- At least a Masters’ degree in biomedical Sciences preferable in medical parasitology.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in malaria, especially on diagnosis,
- Experience working with malaria donors such as USAID, World Bank, Global Fund, DFID will be preferred;
- Experience with laboratory supportive supervision
- Experience in writing scientific report, manuscript and peer-reviewed publications;
- Good interpersonal skills, team player and makes her/himself available as needed;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Must have General professional and technical proficiency in the English
- Very proficient in the use of the standard Microsoft Office package with particular experience using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Internet Explorer.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest and curriculum vitae to [email protected]. Compensation will be based on USAID FSN scales. Position will be open until filled.