Baylor College of Medicine Children’s Foundation – Malawi
The Baylor College of Medicine Children’s Foundation – Malawi (BCMCF-M) is a not-for-profit organization working in partnership with the Malawi government in the health sector. Our mission is to improve the health and lives of children and families with HIV, cancer and blood disorders through high quality, high impact, ethical, state of the art comprehensive care and treatment, training of health professionals and clinical research. We have a vibrant and thriving maternal health program main site at Area 25 Health Centre that ensures prevention/reduction of stillbirths, neonatal deaths and maternal morbidity and mortality. We are situated within the Kamuzu Central Hospital premises, opposite Kamuzu College of Nursing.
BCMCF-M invites applications from suitably qualified individuals to fill the position of:
Position: Laboratory Coordinator
Reports to: Medical Director
Location: Lilongwe – Centre of Excellence (COE)
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Laboratory Coordinator will guide the strategic direction of the Baylor-Malawi laboratory at COE and monitor and review the implementation plan using COE’s guidelines for providing laboratory services in collaboration with assigned partner labs and/or government health facilities in line with current national laboratory professional standards.
Responsibilities include but not limited to the following;
- Implement COE Laboratory periodic work plans, procurement plan and budgets for providing laboratory services in line with MoH laboratory objectives and Baylor-Malawi’s procurement policy.
- Monitor the implementation of the approved COE laboratory balance score card and prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports in regard to the performance of the laboratory in line with Baylor-Malawi’s Laboratory plan.
- Monitor the implementation of Quality Improvement Programs & MoH quality tools in laboratory, and related approved appropriate interventions to bridge the identified gaps in line with the Quality Improvement plan.
- Maintain networks with COE laboratory key stakeholders, and advocate for coordinated and harmonized laboratory systems strengthening interventions in line with Baylor- Malawi laboratory mission.
- Monitor Biosafety and waste management practices in laboratory, and related approved appropriate interventions to enhance compliance to the MoH Biosafety and Health Care Waste management guidelines.
- Monitor the carrying out of research by the COE laboratory staff and present research findings in medical related fora in line with Baylor Malawi and MOH research guidelines.
Competencies and Experience Required
- A degree in Biomedical Laboratory Science with a minimum of 1 year of laboratory work experience.
- Have key personal competences in customer care principles, analytical skills, networking, communication skills, documentation, reporting, presentation and training skills with proficient use of automated laboratory instrumentation.
- Should have knowledge in laboratory Quality Improvement projects
- Registered with Medical Council of Malawi
- Fluent in both English and Chichewa
Suitably qualified and experienced candidates should address their applications, including a detailed Curriculum Vitae and names of three traceable referees who are not relatives to:
The Executive Director
Baylor College of Medicine Children’s Foundation-Malawi
Closing date for receiving applications is on 21st June, 2021. Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged.