Website JCM Power
Advancing the Clean Energy Age
SR. CONTROLLER– JCM POWER – RENEWABLE ENERGY COMPANY FOCUSED ON GROWTH MARKETS
JCM Power is an independent power producer dedicated to accelerating social, economic and environmental sustainability in growth markets through the development, construction and operation of renewable energy facilities and HVDC transmission lines. We establish long-term partnerships with local communities, governments, and financial institutions to build and operate clean energy projects in markets where economies are growing rapidly and electricity is currently scarce, but sun and wind are abundant. JCM is headquartered in Toronto and has projects in Latin America, Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia.
JCM Power is uniquely positioned to lead the world’s renewable energy transformation. We are energy experts – members of our team have built and operated gigawatts of renewable energy projects around the globe. As engineers, lawyers, accountants and financiers, we manage the risk and complexity of financing and owning infrastructure projects, all the while ensuring an unwavering dedication to the highest ethical, social and environmental standards. Our experience and agility in deployment allow us to help shape the future of renewable energy in growth markets.
This role will allow you to work for a higher purpose by actively tackling one of the worlds’ biggest problems each and every day. Success in your role means you are making a large, measurable and sustainable impact in the world.
We are seeking a Senior Controller for the African region to join our growing team. Reporting into the Project Director of Malawi and overseeing direct reports, this person will be primarily be located in Malawi and responsible for effectively managing the financial health of our operations in the region and will be a local leader in establishing best practices to ensure a bright financial outlook.
Leading the Financial future of JCM’s African region, this individual will be responsible for the development and delivery of project/regional financial strategy. The ideal candidate for this position has potential for growth into senior leadership role, operating under minimal oversights and responsible for a local team of financial experts that uphold JCM’s reputation as a reputable partner in energy.
The role of Senior Controller is includes, but is not limited to the following duties:
- Ensures high quality in financial reporting by controlling and supporting a financial portfolio of subsidiaries
on accounting, audit and internal control matters in relation to group reporting (IFRS) through monthly,
quarterly and statutory financial cycles.
- Implementation of new financial reporting policies (IFRS) and practices.
- Ensures that the portfolio of subsidiaries has appropriate levels of controls by reviewing and supporting
implementation of internal controls and involvement in internal audits.
- Oversees the development of tax strategies to optimize business results, including strategies related to existing projects and acquisitions.
- Builds effective and efficient working processes that focus on continuous improvement and standardization.
- Leads and educates internal/external partners on strategic and procedural components of the financial
model to uphold compliance and expedite executive decision making.
- Maintains proactive dialog and collaborate with parent organization, subsidiaries, other group functions,
external advisors and auditors.
- Oversees and manages a high performing functioning finance department that optimally forecasts financial
outcomes in realtimereal-time.
- Various ad hoc tasks within accounting, audit, financing, internal control, M&A, restructuring, working
capital optimization and related support to subsidiaries, group functions and MP management team.
- International travel is required and will fluctuate as the company evolves.
To be deemed a high performing member of the team in this role you would:
- Lead a high performing department under minimal oversight with proactive and sustainable practices.
Establish best practices for clear reporting for strategic decision making and compliance.
- Build and maintain positive and productive business partnerships vital stakeholders.
- Drive and secure the financial health of the African region’s projects.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
- 5+ years’ broad, large firm experience within a related industry (manufacturing, mining, trade, etc.).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management, Accounting or Finance, required.
- Passionate about designing creative financial infrastructure
- An active professional designation; CPA or equivalent is required.
- Operates to the highest standard of ethics, transparency, and shows potential for accelerated growth.
- Comfort operating within political landscapes, building relationships with lenders, government, banks, and
other public/private agencies.
- Business-level proficiency in English and Chichewa (written/verbal).
- An established influencer and team player with excellent communication skills.
- Technical and analytic aptitude with expertise in cost accounting and MicrosoftS Office applications..
- Understanding of integrated ERP / MRP and accounting systems, QuickBooks considered an asset. .
- Experience working with external/international accounting firms and banking partners.
- Proven ability to deliver on commitments with high quality results in a timely manner.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced, agile team environment, managing multiple deadlines and
internal/external stakeholder expectations.
- Valid passport and/or acceptable documents for travel to the Canada.
- Willing to work/relocate to the Malawi project area.
- Vision – Sees possibilities for a potential future state and paves a path of achievement.
- High Standards – Expects personal performance and team performance to be nothing short of the
- Openness to criticism and ideas – Often solicits feedback and reacts calmly to criticism or negative
feedback and generally coachable
- Work ethic – Possesses a strong willingness to work hard and sometimes long hours to get the jobdone. Has a track record of working hard.
- Intelligence – Learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to quickly and proficiently understand and absorb new information.
- Enthusiasm – Exhibits passion and excitement over work. Has a can-do attitude
- Efficiency – Able to produce significant output with minimal wasted effort.
- Honest and candid – Speaks plainly and truthfully and ability to have ‘courageous conversations’.
- Grit – Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done
JCM provides a first rate compensation and benefits package.
JCM is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer that celebrates diversity and practices inclusion. Committed to the principle that unique perspectives bring better business results, JCM encourages experts from around the world to join in our mission of accelerating social, economic and environmental sustainability in growth markets through the development of renewable energy.