Website Innovation: Africa
Innovation: Africa is Seeking Honest, Hard-Working, and Problem Solvers in Malawi
Job Title: Program Manager
Malawi Nationals Only: Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Innovation: Africa (iA) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization whose team of dedicated problem solvers work together to bring solar and water technologies to rural communities in Africa. We use solar energy to pump clean water for villages and provide schools, orphanages, and medical clinics with light and refrigeration to store vaccines and medicines. With more than 300 completed water, solar, and agriculture projects, iA has provided over 1.7 million people in Africa with access to light, clean water, food security, and proper medical care. Visit www.innoafrica.org to learn more about our work.
We seek a highly trained and qualified professional to join our Malawi team as the Program Manager, based in Mangochi District. The Program Manager is responsible for managing the local team and contractors, as well as coordinating, facilitating, and overseeing all aspects of the team’s work plan and scheduled activities. The ideal candidate has proven experience leading a team, community development, project management and a background of managing a team. From a technical capacity, the Program Manager must possess the skills and professional expertise to assist our local team of engineers to design, implement, and monitor the installation and construction of iA’s solar water pumping systems and solar electrification projects. Further, the Program Manager will be expected to provide the communities we serve with technical support and assist with system maintenance as needed.
This position requires frequent travel to the field to manage the team’s activities and iA’s existing solar and water supply projects, as well as to assess and oversee all prospective and ongoing projects.
Country Director in Israel
● Oversee all project activities and be the main contact point for the international team and the field staff.
● Ensure project activities comply with the goals, policies and regulations of Innovation: Africa.
● Oversee contractor engagement responsible for drilling, construction, solar installation and maintenance, and all Water Sanitation and Hygiene activities.
● Supervise on-site work of all iA contractors, including hydrogeological surveying, drilling and pump testing, water quality analysis, and all other construction and installation activities related to ongoing solar electrification and water pumping projects.
● Ensure contractors’ strict adherence to project timelines and provide international senior management with daily updates and reports from the field.
● Work closely with iA’s international and local team of engineers to design and implement sustainable solar water supply systems, including conducting capacity and load assessments, pump sizing, as well as mapping community water distribution points.
● Responsible for overseeing the development and execution of project deliverables, lead project planning, budgeting, action plans and monitoring processes.
● Responsible for submitting activity reports and financial reports on regular basis to the Country Director.
● Organize community meetings with the targeted communities, conduct community trainings and sensitization
● Lead and motivate the project team and monitor project activities, project expenditure and coordinate work with contractors in the project.
● Ensure close collaboration and coordination with cooperating partners to guarantee smooth implementation of activities and achievement of results.
● Employs resourcefulness in project design, implementation and monitoring, troubleshooting project problems, identifies and implements creative solutions.
● Manages beneficiary selection process.
● Track the progress of ongoing field activities, including conducting community mobilization and oversee technical implementation of iAs projects in Malawi.
● Perform monitoring and evaluation of existing projects, work with communities to ensure project sustainability.
● Manage and fully participate in visits from the international team, donors and guests.
● Develop and maintain relationships with local government and local partners NGOs.
● Procure and source invoices of approved system components to ensure organizational transparency and identify reliable vendors with high quality, cost-effective, supplies.
● Provide effective community support, including leading technical training and sensitization meetings to iA water and solar power beneficiaries, including establishing project steering committees.
● Respond to any communication such as email or whatsApp within a timely manner (24)
● Managing the Malawi Office
● Minimum 5 years of managerial experience in the NGO sector, preferably working with engineers and international teams.
● Minimum 3 years of experience managing community-based solar water pumping systems, including supervision of teams and contractors conducting geophysical surveying, drilling activities, pump testing, construction and installation works, as well as post-completion routine monitoring of projects.
● Passionate and effective team leader with strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
● Exceptional interpersonal skills and a proven commitment to serving vulnerable communities.
● Experience in community development and mobilization techniques.
● Bachelor’s Degree in Development studies, Community Development, Project Management, Business Administration, Social Work, Water Resources Management,
● Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in email and Microsoft Office software.
● Comfortable working with an international team in different time zones, and the ability to commit to flexible working hours, including weekends if needed.
● Mandatory relocation to Mangochi District.
● Native written and spoken Chichewa.
● Fluent written and spoken English.
● Driver’s license.
● Those with a Master’s Degree have an added advantage
Commensurate with experience.
As an international organization that works across three continents, our teams are required to maintain daily communication, at flexible hours, with one another using technology solutions, including WhatsApp, Skype, and Zoom. Our ideal candidate thrives in this type of fast-paced environment and is comfortable working with a diverse international team located in various time zones.
● Please send your cover letter and CV as a single PDF attachment to email@example.com.
● The file name should be saved as your full name.
● Kindly include the position and country for which you are applying to work in the subject line of the email.