PROPEL Health Malawi – Finance Manager
Project Overview and Role:
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Finance Manager will support the PROPEL Health and is responsible for ensuring compliance with the Malawi government, donor, and company policies and procedures in the areas of finance
Budget, Accounting and Financial Management:
- Ensure all finances are managed in alignment with the Malawi government regulations, company and client’s financial policies and procedures
- Liaise with project team in Malawi Office and HQ to prepare, review and revise project budgets and expenditure forecasts
- Forecast project expenditures through field office, timely submit funds transfer requests (FTR) and manage cash flows in field office
- Communicate and follow up with relevant suppliers, consultants, vendors, contractors, and staff with regards to invoices, payments, advances, or finances
- Reconcile and review invoices for payments. Ensure necessary review, deliverables, and approvals before issuing payments. Write checks and issue payments
- Ensure applicable tax withholding and deductions are taken care of as per the Malawi laws and regulations
- Maintain up to date bank and petty cash account transaction records and supporting documentations
- Record all financial transactions in the financial templates provided by HQ, accurately and in a timely fashion. Prepare, review, and submit regular field vouchers and financial reports to HQ, as required.
- Collect bank statements for the bank accounts, review cash book, and reconcile the account
- Review monthly financial reports and inform/update expenditure forecast/budget on regular basis
- Prepare financial report as necessary and provide necessary financial support to the project.
- Responsible for entering all transactions into the internet banking system
- Ensure field vouchers are prepared accurately, supporting documents are on file, and all transactions are coded in accordance with general ledger and project charge code(s)
- Certify that all cleared cheques are in the filed bank statement. If a transaction has not cleared in the current period, ensure it is reflected as cleared in the next periods bank statement
- Submit monthly end-of-the month bank statement to Treasury
- Responsible for timely upload of the field voucher to Costpoint and SharePoint systems
- Reconciliation of the petty cash account. Ensure in-country project delivery team maintains up-to-date petty cash account transaction records and supporting documentation to submit to DC as required twice a month
- Secure approvals in the delegation of authority (DOA) portal for all electronic payments made in Malawi
- Any other budget, accounting and financial duties as assigned
Payroll & VAT:
- Manage employee salary administration according to Malawi laws, statutory requirements for income taxation, social security and other contributions, medical care, insurance, and other benefits
- Ensure payroll is correctly calculated and that salaries and withholdings are paid on time
- Process for applicable tax exemptions and VAT reimbursements during or after procurements
- Ensure VAT reimbursement and supporting documentation are submitted to the Malawi Revenue Authority (MRA) on time
- Any other payroll & VAT duties as assigned
- Make sure all payroll, withholding, VAT reimbursement documents are on file for a future audit
- Lead the project entity audit, and assist in any USAID audit (if required)
- Any other audit duties as assigned.
- 5-8 years of work experience in finance with an international organization and USG-funded project experience
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of professional accounting principles, theories, practices and terminology as well as principles and accepted procedures associated with USAID regulations is highly desirable
- Previous experience in payroll, expense reporting, invoice processing and ensuring completeness, accuracy, and validity of accounting data of documents
- Demonstrated familiarity with USG financial reporting and compliance requirements
- Previous experience preparing project/company financial reporting (i.e., field vouchers), reconciling project/company bank statements, managing bank accounts, managing and monitoring petty cash, preparing payroll, tracking expenses according to budget, maintaining records to meet tax requirements including payroll, customs and Value Added Tax (V.A.T) taxes
- Previous experience with workplan budgeting, budget monitoring, and forecasting
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in team-based environment, supervise a professional team and ability to
- interact with a variety of technical, clinical, and other specialists
- Strong written and verbal communications skills; fluent in English
- Malawian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply for this role
About Palladium – Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with governments, businesses, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing challenges. With a team of more than 3,000 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of over 35,000 experts, we help improve economies, societies and, most importantly, people’s lives.
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion – Palladium is committed to embedding equity, diversity, and inclusion into everything we do. We welcome applications from all sections of society and actively encourage diversity to drive innovation, creativity, success and good practice. We positively welcome and seek to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce; and that all job applicants and employees receive equal and fair treatment regardless of their background or personal characteristics. These include: (but are not limited to) socio-economic background, age, race, gender identity and expression, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, veteran, marital or Indigenous status.
Should you require any adjustments or accommodations to be made due to a disability or you are a neurodivergent individual or for any other circumstance, please email our team at [email protected] and we will be in touch to discuss.
Safeguarding – We define Safeguarding as “the preventative action taken by Palladium to protect our people, clients and the communities we work with from harm”. We are committed to ensuring that all children and adults who come into contact with Palladium are treated with respect and are free from abuse. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced selection process including safeguarding-focused interviews and a rigorous due diligence process.
To apply for this job please visit palladium.csod.com.