Dowa Integrated Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene Program (DI-WASH)
United Purpose (UP) Malawi is an international non-governmental organisation working to create opportunities for lasting improvement in peoples’ lives. We work in partnership with others to support a range of livelihoods and food security, WASH and health, sustainable energy and gender equality programmes reaching over 1,000,000 people a year across Malawi. Globally, we work in nine countries across Africa, Asia and South America, however our Malawi programme is by far and away our largest and most established country programme. UP currently operates in 17 districts in Malawi, supporting over 30 on-going projects, with a total staff of over 250.
UP Malawi is seeking to recruit a talented and dynamic team for a recently approved Charity Water funded WASH programme, called Dowa Integrated Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene (DI-WASH). DI-WASH will be implemented in Dowa District primarily targeting underserved communities in four TA’s in close collaboration with relevant Government line ministries’ and WASH actors. The goal of the program is to reduce morbidity and mortality of rural people of Dowa, especially under five children caused by WASH related diseases. The objective is to increase access to safe water and improved sanitation and hygiene practices in target communities and selected schools and ensure sustainable operation and maintenance of WASH facilities by beneficiaries in partnership with the district councils and private sector. The project is targeting population of over 55, 000 people with a total budget of $1m.
The team we are recruiting must all be firmly committed to delivering lasting positive improvements to the communities that we serve, and delivering UP’s mission and upholding our values of integrity, dignity, and environmental respect. The contracts will be until approximately December 2019 (with strong possibility of future extension, subject to personal performance and funding). UP invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced persons to fill the following vacancies:
The availability of these positions are contingent upon contract signing and funding disbursement to UP Malawi.
Driver/Logistician (1 x based in Dowa – Mponela Office)
Reporting to the District Manager, the Driver/Logistician is responsible for the timely, efficient and transparent accomplishment of all transport logistical support to the Project. The role requires a realistic understanding of the operating context and the ability to carry out multiple task as assigned from time to time in liaison with the District Coordinator and Project team members.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Driving UP vehicles with care and responsibility
- Ensuring safety and security of the vehicle when it is in his/her custody
- Cleaning the vehicle on a daily basis
- Ensuring that the engine and gear box oil, battery acid, break and clutch fluid and tire pressures are regularly checked and kept to recommended levels
- Ensuring that the vehicle is regularly serviced and maintained
- Recording vehicle log book continuously and accurately
- Timely reporting any vehicle accidents as and when they happen
- Reporting any damage/mechanical faults to the District Manager
The successful candidate will have
- Minimum of a Malawi Schools Certificate of Education
- Clean Driving License with 3 years driving experience
- Defensive driving skills
- Familiar with electronic gadgets and computers/internet
- Highly organized and plans and implement his/her work efficiently, with very minimum supervision
- Responsive to query in a timely manner
- Ready to work at odd hours, including weekends and holidays
- Excellent community mobilization and communication skills
How to apply:
Qualified and interested candidates who meets the stated requirements must submit a completed Application Form. Please note that CVs and cover letters will not be accepted. Please visit http://united-purpose.org/s/Job-Application-Form.doc to download the Application Form, and then submit the completed form via email only to firstname.lastname@example.org. When submitting, please put YOUR NAME [POSITION APPLIED] in the email title. Any applications that do not include this in the title will not be considered.
No hard copy / physical applications will be accepted.
Closing date for the receipt of completed application forms is midnight of 13th January 2019. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. For more information about UP, please visit our website at www.united-purpose.org/malawi/.
UP is an equal opportunity employer, and women are particularly encouraged to apply.