Farm Radio Trust
Farm Radio Trust (FRT) is a leading non- governmental organization dedicated exclusively to serving smallholder communities through the provision of ICT based information, communication, extension and advisory services in Malawi with a growing reputation and involvement in program and policy development processes across sub-Saharan Africa. Our vision is a ‘world that has sustainable livelihoods of farming communities’. FRT was registered under the Trustees Incorporation Act in 2009; registered as a local non-governmental organization under Council for Non-Governmental Organizations in Malawi (CONGOMA) in 2010 and with NGO Board since 2013.
Reporting To: Chief Executive Officer
Level: Executive Management
The Director of Finance and Administration is responsible for providing financial advice and direction as well as, overseeing day-to-day management of the finance, information technology, human resource management and administration functions of FRT and FRT Holdings Limited.
Creating an environment for proper maintenance of financial records and preparation of financial reports and for ensuring compliance with the applicable laws and effectual delivery of administrative support services
2. Organizational Resilience
- Upholds the values and principles of the organization
- Ensures that the organization’s assets are protected
- Ensures that appropriate administrative, financial and IT systems, infrastructure, policies and procedures are developed to support the implementation and evaluation of the organization’s strategies
- Leads the planning and execution of activities in the areas of finance, IT support and administration
- Manage day-to-day operations of the Finance and Administration department
- Delegates bookkeeping and office management responsibilities and duties
- Ensures that finance, administration and IT initiatives are evaluated, and that recommendations are developed and implemented to increase the organizations impact
- Provides proactive, transparent and in-depth financial analysis to enhance decision making.
- Prepares and presents finance reports on a quarterly basis for Board of Directors
- Ensure the timely, accurate completion of all government, and funder donors and regulatory agency reports
5. Supporting the Chief Executive Officer and Board of Trustees
- Ensures that all financial reports (budgets and narrative) for board meetings are compiled and forwarded to the Chief Executive Officer in time prior to board meetings
- Advises and guides the Chief Executive Officer and Board of Directors on the external landscape with respect to changing governmental legislation that potentially affects and/or changes the financial, administrative, HR and IT requirements of non-profit organizations in Malawi, including the new accounting standards
6.Financial Control and Risk Management
- Ensures the efficient and effective management of all financial functions of the organization
- Review, draft, implement and monitor internal controls and financial policies and procedures
- Ensure that all statutory requirements of the organization are met
- Ensures that the organization makes all required government remittances and remits applicable taxes in the regions in which it operates (examples include WHT, PAYE, PENSION, TEVET levy)
7. Financial Budgets and Reports
- Lead business development for FRT Holdings Limited
- Develops the annual budget with respect to the requirements of the finance, administration and IT function for the organization
- Develops a consolidated annual budget for the review and approval of the Chief Executive Officer and board of directors
- Performs financial analysis, forecasting, reporting and monitoring the achievement of funding goals and the use of financial resources
- Provides regular financial reports.
- Coordinate and oversee the annual audit.
8. Human Resource Management
- Develops, updates and maintains HR related files and HR Information Systems
- Lead recruits, interviews finance /administrative support positions.
- Orients direct reports to the organization, its programs and services, its staff, the finance/IT/administration department, and to their position.
- Directs, engages, and coaches direct reports so that they are empowered to fulfill their role effectively
- Ensures compensation systems are adhered to and are competitive externally and adhered to internally
- Participate in staff disciplinary matters.
- Ensures effective administration and maintenance of administrative systems and Information.
- Ensures the effective selection, administration and maintenance of office equipment agreements, software contracts, office lease/rental agreements
- Ensures effective record keeping of all financial and human resource files, contracts, inventory, leases, contracts and agreements
- Review and update the procurement manual
- As part of the annual planning process, prepare annual procurement plan.
- Review procurement reports and make recommendations to the Chief Executive Officer.
- Support procurement of major items using bidding.
- Ensure proper development of contracts for supply of goods and services
- Train staff on procurement
5-8 years prior experience as Finance and Administration Director/Manager or similar role with similar type and size of organization. Experience in both private and non-governmental sector.
Have diverse experience in financial management, including developing financial management and reporting systems, statutory reporting and presentation, strategic management, administration & IT, Human Resource Management.
Completion of a recognized accounting designation such as CA, CGA, ACCA, CMA.
An MBA will be a desirable asset.
Expertise & Skills:
- Strong financial management acumen; knowledge of accounting standards (IFRSs), budget administration and financial forecasting, analysis and reporting
- Knowledge of relevant laws affecting financial management and administration of organizations
- Strong human resource management expertise;
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong project management experience; ability to develop, monitor and evaluate multiple tasks with multiple deliverables and deadlines.
- Excellent written and oral communication, presentation and negotiation skills.
- Excellent communication skills in English.
- High comfort and tolerance to manage stress and role demands.
- Supports and promotes a culture that embraces diversity and the inclusion of all, in which convergent and divergent ideas and perspectives.
- Advanced proficiency with computerized financial systems Sage ERP and Microsoft Applications.
Applications with a copy of Curriculum Vitae and at least three referees should be submitted not later than 18th January 2021 to
The Chief Executive Officer
Farm Radio Trust
PO Box 30081
Email: [email protected]
Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged.