FINCA Limited, an affiliate of FINCA International,is a deposit taking micro finance company limited by shares and it operates through 24 service outlets which serve borrowers and depositors in rural, urban, and peri-urban areas in Malawi.
To strengthen our team and prepare the companies for the challenges ahead, FINCA Malawi is looking for interested qualified persons for the below listed posts:-
Database Administrator —1 Position, based in Blantyre
The Role: This is a Database Administrator role largely responsible for providing operational database services to the organization.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Some of the primary responsibilities of this role would include owning, tracking and resolving database related incidents and requests, fulfilling requests and resolving incidents, reviewing service related reports (e.g: database backups, maintenance, monitoring) on a daily basis to ensure service-related issues are identified and resolved within recommended timeframes and standards, responding to database related alerts and escalations and working with FI database experts to come up with strategic solutions to recurring problems.
- This DBA role requires a service-oriented mentality, high sense of ownership of the problems and requests assigned, focus on managing and resolving issues in alignment with the policies, establishing and maintaining communication with technology customers to keep them updated with status of their requests, initiating and performing changes on production systems and proactively escalating any issues that cannot be resolved within the established timeframes.
Focus Areas Key Functions
- Establishing the needs of users and monitoring user access and security
- Monitoring performance and managing parameters to provide fast query responses to front-end users
- Managing both back-end organization of data and front-end accessibility for end-users
- Installing and testing new versions of the DBMS
- Maintaining data standards, including adherence to the Data Protection policies/procedures
- Writing database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata) when need arises
- Controlling access permissions and privileges to databases
- Developing, managing and testing back-up and recovery plans
- Ensuring that storage, archiving, back-up and recovery procedures are functioning correctly
- Manage and monitor database growth
- Working closely with IT project managers, database programmers
- Communicating regularly with technical, applications and operational staff to ensure database integrity and security;
- Commissioning and installing new applications and customizing existing applications in order to make them fit for purpose.
- Preferably BSc in IT or Computer Science. Those with professional certifications and knowledge in banking software will have added advantage
- Professional qualifications will be an added advantage
- At least two (2) years relevant work experience in a database management
- Database Performance Tuning
- Database Security
- Promoting Process Improvement
- Problem Solving, Presenting Technical Information
- Quality Focus, Database Management
- Data Maintenance
- Operating Systems (Windows, Linux)
- knowledge in Information Security Policies
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Excellent writing skills.
- Strong numeracy skills
- Ability to mentor staff.
- Time Management
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Good communication skills and public relations skills.
- Proficiency in Computer Applications/ Microsoft Office.
Personalities and attributes
- Paying attention to details
- Highly committed and trustworthy
- Confident and assertive
- Team spirit
- Patience and Empathy
- Very good listener
For details for the above jobs, please visit our recruitment portal on http://www.fincamalawi.simplicant.com
Qualifying and interested people should apply for the position through below email. Closing date for applications is 28th November, 2019.
For any questions or further information, contact the Human Resources Manager on 01 822 256
Only short listed applicants will be acknowledged.
FINCA International Inc. is an Equal Opportunities Employer.