Website Abt Associates
The anticipated Health Service Delivery Activity seeks to reduce maternal, newborn, and child morbidity and mortality in Malawi and execute interventions in health systems strengthening and four priority health areas: family planning (FP) and reproductive health (RH); maternal, newborn, and child health (MNCH); malaria; and water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH).
The DCOP, under the supervision of the Chief of Party, assists in developing and implementing innovative approaches to strengthening the capacity of Malawian institutions and communities to deliver quality, integrated health services. The DCOP provides management and technical oversight for project staff.
The position will be based in Lilongwe, Malawi and is contingent upon contract award to Abt Associates.
Please apply by May 27th, 2021.
- Provide direct technical oversight and support to program activities under the project’s key technical areas.
- Ensure that activity components are results-oriented, that deliverables are high quality, and that reporting is relevant and timely. The DCOP must focus on achieving results in all areas on schedule and ensuring synergies and cohesion between the various result areas.
- Assist program teams to develop and implement innovative approaches to capacity building.
- Support project staff to ensure a high quality transfer of skills and knowledge to Malawian institutions and communities.
Provide guidance and technical support to the Chief of Party on issues related to the technical areas/functions and to ensure that all activities are consistent with accepted best practices.
- Direct and oversee project annual work planning and budgeting processes.
- Leads preparation of quarterly and annual project activity/progress and technical reports.
- Direct and lead collaboration with technical leads to ensure a cohesive and integrated approach across all project activities.
- Together with the COP, serves as a senior manager to ensure activities are in compliance with USAID rules and regulations and activities meet program targets.
- Participate in technical networks, meetings and select technical working groups, as appropriate, to represent the project and ensure collaboration of relevant technical work.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Public Health or Medical Degree (MD) (preferred) or other clinical care degree and at least 12 years of experience supporting health service delivery programs; or Bachelor’s degree and 16 years of relevant experience.
- At least 5 years of experience in a senior technical position for a public health and/or international development project; USAID project experience highly preferred.
- Expertise in at least two of the following target health services: FP/RH; MNCH; malaria; and/or WASH.
- Experience working in the Malawi and/or other African countries in similar health systems and service delivery issues.
- Demonstrated leadership, creative problem-solving, and management skills.
- Proven capacity in working with a diverse group of partners including USAID staff, key Ministry officials, and local and national civil society organizations.
- The ability to travel extensively to program locations within Malawi as well as to other countries as required.
- Advanced written and oral communication, presentation, and representational skills.
- Excellent computer skills in word processing, spreadsheets, database management, and PowerPoint.
- Professional proficiency in written and spoken English required.
Bachelor’s Degree + Fifteen years of relevant experience, or Master’s Degree + Twelve years of relevant experience, or PhD + Ten years of relevant experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.