Website Abt Associates
The anticipated USAID Malawi Health Service Delivery Activity seeks to reduce maternal, newborn, and child morbidity and mortality in Malawi. It will execute interventions in health systems strengthening and four priority health areas: family planning (FP) and reproductive health (RH); maternal, newborn, and child health (MNCH); malaria; and water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH).
The COP’s primary responsibilities are aimed at providing overall leadership and technical direction of the entire project activity, ensuring an integrated vision among different components and actors, and a focus on achieving the results defined in the project’s scope of work. The COP has the final authority within the project team for decisions related to technical, management, contractual, resource allocation and personnel issues. The COP will be accountable for the successful implementation of all aspects of the project. In carrying out these responsibilities the COP works in partnership with USAID and national and local government agencies and officials, local national and community level organizations and other partners, and project staff.
The position will be based in Lilongwe, Malawi and is contingent upon contract award to Abt Associates.
Please apply by May 27th, 2021.
- Provides strategic direction, technical leadership, and programmatic vision to produce project results and deliverables, and overall management of the technical, operational, financial, and administrative aspects of the project.
- Functions as the primary liaison between USAID, Ministries of Health, local national organizations and other partners and stakeholders.
- Creates management systems in line with Abt standard operating procedures consistent with the needs of the project.
- Works closely with the project team to set the technical vision for the entire project, with specific attention to meeting set goals based on project design and work plan.
- Monitors the progress and pace of project implementation, assuring the full potential of the program is realized through the promotion of high-quality work and internal control.
- Supervises the work and assesses the performance of all long term and short term advisors, consultants and staff.
- Use continuous learning approaches to establish a culture of adaptive management that can readily respond to contextual shifts by adapting decision making, resource allocation, and implementation approaches/strategies, as necessary.
- Clarifies roles, delegates responsibilities to senior staff, and clearly communicates expectations for staff contribution to project activities.
- Identifies issues and risks related to activity implementation in a timely manner, and suggests appropriate activity adjustments.
- Manages and supervises project staff and partners in the identification of all the project’s technical assistance needs, development of suitable scopes of work, recruitment of consultants, and execution of technical assistance contracts.
- Maintains productive working relationships with USAID clients, project partners and key counterparts, and reports to the Portfolio Manager in Abt Associates’ home office.
- Master’s degree in Public Health, International Development, or relevant field and at least 15 years of senior-level international project management experience in designing, implementing and managing large, complex health systems strengthening and service delivery programs in developing countries.
- Prior experience successfully implementing donor-funded programs with wide geographic reach; prior USAID COP experience highly preferred.
- Experience in the Southern Africa region required and in Malawi preferred, including thorough knowledge of specific health priorities, deep knowledge of geo-political, ethnic, cultural, and other factors affecting regional programming.
- Demonstrated capacity to manage complex health systems strengthening and service delivery programs in a low resource, low infrastructure setting required.
- Extensive expertise in at least two of the following target health services: FP/RH; MNCH; malaria; and/or WASH.
- Demonstrated success in managing relationships with key stakeholders, including USAID, national and local officials, public, private and civil society partners to assure effective collaboration among stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to lead multidisciplinary, multicultural teams, manage complex programs, and ensure that project staff adhere to the highest standards of quality, relevance, and timeliness.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
- Fluency in English required.
Bachelor’s Degree + Fifteen years of relevant experience, or Master’s Degree + Twelve years of relevant experience, or PhD + Ten years of relevant experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.