Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
Extension systems are becoming increasingly pluralistic, resulting in a variety of actors providing services to farmers. Improved coordination is a recognized need to improve the coverage of extension workers to reach all farmers. Pluralism is constrained by accurate basic data on who is doing what, where, and with whom. To assist Agricultural Extension Workers to collect such type of data, the University of Illinois developed a Smartphone Application called the Extension Helper App and is seeking services of an eligible candidate to support rolling out the Application in collaboration with DAES in three districts: Balaka, Dedza and Lilongwe.
You will assist the project implementation by working directly with local partners and extension workers, coordinating the use of Extension Helper APP and Smart video projectors in support of Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work to serve the poor and vulnerable. Your service and community relations skills ensure that the local partners and communities feed into and benefit from the project that consistently applies best practices and continuously works towards improving its impact.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Support the coordination and monitoring of the project activity at the field level, ensuring implementation schedules are met as per the detailed activity plan, and that adherence to systems for quality project implementation are strengthened.
- Organize Training of Trainers for DAESS members and backstop training for Extension Workers on the Extension Helper App and the Management Portal
- Coordinate communication and facilitate information sharing among the project team and implementing partners, and project beneficiaries at the community level.
- Support District and National Level Managers on using the App generated data for decision making
- In coordination with the project team support capacity building events and backstop Extension Workers on use of the App and help in resolving issues.
- Coordinate and monitor the project and provide feedback to the Chief of Party.
- Compile data provided at the community level as per project requirements and contribute to the preparation of reports.
- Collaborate with District Communication Officers on E-extension messaging using the Smart Projectors
Required Languages – Chichewa and English
Travel – Must be willing and able to travel up to 50%.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Observation, active listening and analysis skills with ability to make sound judgment
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with diverse groups
- Proactive, results-oriented and service-oriented
- Excellent writing and business communication skills
- Good adaptive management skills with ability to make sound judgement on issues and situations.
- Timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities;
- High School diploma in Information Technology required. Bachelor’s degree a plus.
- 2 years of work or volunteer experience in community development and mobilization.
- Additional education may substitute for some experience.
- Computer skills required.