British High Commission
Main Purpose of Job
To ensure the smooth and professional day to day running of the British High Commissioner’s Residence, running high quality events that showcase British Excellence, and delivering a positive experience for all visitors. This role requires excellent management and organisational skills.
The job is part-time (50%) and will require an average of 24 hours worked per week. The working hours will be flexible but will require some work in the evenings when there are functions, and occasional (perhaps once or twice a year) work at weekends.
Roles and responsibilities :
- Manage the day to day functioning of the Residence to a high standard of efficiency and professionalism, showcasing British Excellence to all visitors.
- Manage the team of three staff at the Residence (chef, butler, housekeeper)
- Organize and co-ordinate all aspects of the High Commissioner’s hosted events to a high level of professionalism, creativity and value for money, working effectively with Office Manager and High Commission staff.
- Overseeing Caterers for large events, Hiring and supervising of extra staff, and hospitality of guests.
- Work with the chef to ensure high quality, modern food and drink menus for a variety of events.
- Run an account for Residence shopping (food, drinks, flowers, extra staff etc), accounting for all expenditure, costing each event individually by following the FCDO finance guidance.
- Designing menus as per request from the High Commissioner.
- Must have a knowledge of Malawi traditional and British meals.
- Supervision of the physical housekeeping and cleaning of the residence by ensuring the residence is kept clean and tidy at all times.
- Process improvement: collection of feedback and suggestion of new processes and methods.
- Maintain accurate records of Residence activity and residence assets such as: inventory of wine, beer, soft drinks and food stocks and of residence property and furnishings.
- Assist in serving drinks and food at all events.
- Management, reporting and supervision of routine house maintenance projects through the Embassy’s maintenance team. Working with the maintenance team and PA/HC on procurement of furniture, fittings and equipment. Maintaining Health and safety records for the residence.
- Ensure Bio-annual food handlers checks is done in time i.e. Samonella
- Carry out Health and Safety risk assessment before any event
- Strong organizational and management skills
- Experience in event management and/or running a small operation to a high standard.
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal and communication skills. Willingness to listen and respond to complaints, and resolve concerns from guests,
- Solution focused with a “can do” positive attitude.
- Strong staff management skills and able to effectively prioritise, with a proven ability to work under pressure with limited supervision.
- Skilled at working within a team-oriented, collaborative environment. Able to work effectively and supportively with colleagues, both individually and in teams.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Language Proficiency : English
- Knowledge in catering and events management is essential