College of Medicine
College of Medicine (COM) is a leading academic institution of excellence under the University of Malawi The College has 3 campuses with the main campus situated in Blantyre along Mahatma Gandhi Road, another one in Lilongwe and a satellite campus in Mangocni. COM has three academic faculties, namely, the Faculty of Medicine, the Faculty of Biomedical Sciences and the School of Public Health and Family Medicine. Apart from the academic faculties, COM has well-established research centres and affiliates such as MAC, BMP, MLW and JHP. COM also runs well-established business units, including the COM Mortuary, the Sports Complex and the COM Clinic
COM currently has staff vacancies in various departments. Applications are therefore invited from suitably qualified individuals to fill the following position.
CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE IN ETHICS AND GOVERNANCE (CEEG)
Research Fellow (Ethics)
The Centre of Excellence in Ethics and Governance (CEEG) serves as national Think Tank on matters of Ethics for strengthening leadership, Ethics, Governance and Systems in Malawi and the region. The Centre also mainstreams ethics, institutionalizes and promote professionalism, moral character, and moral standards as an investment to gain the moral capital dividend in line with the University of Malawi’s Core Values, the CEEG aims at building, promoting and sustaining a culture of integrity, accountability, transparency, responsibility, professionalism, commitment, honesty, openness to diversity and responsiveness in the development of the nation’s moral capital
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Among other duties and responsibilities, the Research Fellow will be expected to do the following
- Developing new research, Consultancies proposals and training program proposals.
- Ability to write and implement consultancies and research program proposals,
- Developing the strategy to position the Centre as national think tank in ethics and governance
- Preparing, organizing, implementing, evaluating research consultancies and training programs
- Managing social media pages like the Website, Twitter and Facebook
- Supervising research teams
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Science, Political Science, Philosophy, Public Administration, Ethics or Governance
- Experience in governance work is on added advantage
- Demonstrated ability in data analysis, project design and experience in developing results frameworks, logical frameworks, or similar tools for project design is an added advantage.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in proposal writing, study design, and data analysis
- Knowledge of any research methods like Qualitative and Quantitative
- Knowledge in Research Ethics will be an added advantage
- Knowledge in grant writing
- Knowledge in proposal writing
- Knowledge of computer packages such as Excel, PowerPoint and any other Research Data Analysis package
- Research work experience is an added advantage
- Experience in Governance/Ethics is an added advantage
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to summarize disparate information in a clear and concise manner
- Excellent research and data collection methodology skills
- Ability to create organizational work plans based on higher-level goals
- Strong organizational skills in order to balance competing priorities
- Ability to work independently to efficiently meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Oral and written communication skills to deal effectively with mid and high level partner contacts, the host government, and the local communities.
- Ability to apply University of Malawi regulations and procedures to daily work requirements eg., research ethics procedures
- Excellent computer skills, including word processing. spreadsheet programs and data base management
How to Apply
Suitably qualified candidates should forward their applications together with copies of relevant certificates, detailed CVs and names of three traceable referees to:
College of Medicine
Private Bag 360
Or email: [email protected]
Applications should be submitted by 30 October, 2020. Please indicate the title of the post in the subject line (email submissions) and on the envelope (hard copy submissions). Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.