British High Commission
Main Purpose of Job
The Post Security Manager is responsible for all aspects of security, both people and assets, for the British High Commission Lilongwe. The jobholder will be required to make recommendations and implement improvements as necessary, while effectively supporting and managing the security team and contractors. The role requires excellent communication and team working skills to engage effectively with colleagues across the High Commission and others.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Management of security at the British High Commission (BHC) office and staff residential properties. Including:
- Provision of comprehensive advice to staff, management and official visitors, consultants, and contractors on security risks, policies and systems.
- Provision of security briefings and advice on all aspects of personal security to official visitors and new arrivals.
- Supervision of the local guarding contract.
- Provision of regular security reports and assessments including reporting on security incidents
- Respond to security emergencies or incidents on a 24 hours basis and the provision of assistance to UK-based staff and their families.
- Completion of regular risk assessments, proactive suggested of improvements, provision of costed proposals and the implementation of agreed changes.
- Provision of advice on any physical security measures requested by the Regional Overseas Security Manager (ROSM) or Post Security Officer.
- Assist with staff radios checks ensuring equipment is fully serviceable and that UK staff have an understanding of the equipment including reporting faulty equipment and overseeing repairs.
- Liaison with external partners (including Diplomatic Police, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, other Diplomatic Missions) to ensure extensive knowledge of local security environment.
- Fire Safety Manager for Post.
Resources Managed (Staff and Expenditure)
- Line management of Security Assistant. Oversight of contracted guarding staff and the security budget.
- Experience of working within a disparate and varied team, building collaborative relationships
- Ability and willingness to undergo a security vetting process.
- Good IT skills, including using word and excel programmes.
- Professionally recognised qualification in the field of security
- Experience working for a diplomatic mission
- Minimum 2 years’ management experience