Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security
GOVERNMENT OF MALAWI
MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE, DEPARTMENT OF FISHERIES
AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK GROUP
SUSTAINABLE FISHERIES, AQUACULTURE DEVELOPMENT AND WATERSHED MANAGEMENT (SFAD-WM) PROJECT
The Government of Malawi has signed a loan and grant package from African Development Bank (AfDB) amounting to UA 9.56 Million (approx. USD 13.19 million). The loan and grant package is for the implementation of the Sustainable Fisheries, Aquaculture Development and Watershed Management (SFAD-WM) Project. The purpose of the project is to contribute towards poverty reduction through improved fish commodity value addition and increased consumption, strengthened nutrition security, and build climate resilience in Malawi. The project therefore aims at improving the management and utilization of the fisheries resources along Lake Malawi and Lake Chilwa fishing communities as well as developing aquaculture to complement the dwindling production from the natural lakes. In terms of project scope and beneficiaries, the interventions will target fishers, fish farmers, fish processors, retailers, wholesalers, traders, technicians and allied industries that include boat builders, gear repairs, fish feed formulation and packaging, transportation, retail and wholesale markets. A total of 20,000 beneficiaries that include youth and women will be targeted. The program will link up with TEVET to build capacities of the mentioned beneficiaries in various fields. It is anticipated that the program shall support over 50 SMEs to establish their own businesses in the various fields and in total the project is expected to create 150,000 direct jobs and 250,000 jobs indirectly. In terms of its geographical scope, it covers 11 lakeshore and non-lakeshore districts including entire basins of Lake Malawi and Chilwa, part of Shire River and selected upland districts for aquacultur:e.,The five targeted zones include: a) Karonga (Chitipa and Karonga); b) Mzuzu (Rumphi, Likoma, NkhataBay and Mzimba); c) Salima (Nkhotakota, Salima, Dowa, Lilongwe, Mchinji, Ntchisi and Mchinji); d) Machinga (Balaka, Zomba, Machinga and Mangochi); and e) Blantyre (Mulanje, Chiradzulu, Thyolo, Blantyre, Phalombe, Chikwawa, Nsanje, Mwanza and Neno).
The Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security through the Department of Fisheries has set up a Project Implementation Unit (PIU) in Lilongwe, through the existing Government structures, which is responsible for undertaking the day to day operational and administrative tasks, procurement, financial management, monitoring and evaluation as well as project implementation.
The Ministry, therefore, seeks to use part of the proceeds of the loan/grant package to recruit individual consultants to fill the positions of Drivers to provide services in the Project Implementation Unit (PIU).
Position Title: Project Driver (4 No.)
Reporting to: The Project Administrative Assistant.
Reference Number: DoFi/IPDC/ SFAD-WM/2020/002
Publication date: 7th August, 2020
Closing date: 28th August, 2020
Place of duty: Lilongwe SFAD-WM PIU office
Terms of Appointment : Five (5) year contractual appointment renewable every year following excellent performance evaluation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Delivery and collection of mail and goods within and outside the office
- Circulating files within the office.
- Preparation and serving of refreshments to staff.
- Update usage details of office equipment and alerting management when maintenance services are due.
- Transport project documents to and from all beneficiary agencies.
- Transport staff members and other stakeholders to required destinations.
- Routine check up of project vehicles to ensure that there is sufficient oil, water, battery water etc
- Cleaning the project vehicles daily
- Keeping track of the vehicle mileage to ensure that it goes for service whenever it clocks the recommended mileage.
- Running the day-to-day official errands for the project.
- Any other duties that may be assigned by the Project Coordinator.
- A minimum qualification of Malawi School Certificate of Education
- A minimum of three years’ experience in a busy organization
- He/She should have a valid Class Cl driver’s licence, without endorsement.
- Must have a defensive driving certificate
- Drivers with experience in driving vehicles in a project management unit will have an added advantage
Duration of the Contract
Note: The successful candidate will be recruited as an individual, for entire project period of five (5) years renewable annually subject to satisfactory performance.
Applicants for the vacancies should submit their applications together with copies of relevant certificates and Curriculum Vitae to:
Internal Procurement and Disposal Committee
Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security
Department of Fisheries
P. O. Box 593
E-mail: Email: [email protected]; cc: [email protected]
To reach him not later than 28th August, 2020. You can get the full Terms of Reference by requesting for the document from [email protected].