Plan International Malawi
Plan International is an independent child rights and humanitarian organisation committed to children living a life free of poverty, violence and injustice.
We actively unite children, communities and other people who share our mission to make positive lasting changes in children’s and young people’s lives. We support children to gain the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to claim their rights to a fulfilling life, today and in the future. We place a specific focus on girls and women, who are most often left behind.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 75 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
This role will be responsible for financial management, expenditure recording and tracking, production and timely submission of financial reports.
To manage the corporate financial information system for the project and ensure compliance and internal controls are adhered to in the procurement and payment process.
Dimensions of the Role
The Project Accountant is responsible for grant financial support function in the areas of business planning, accounting and treasury, financial reporting and analysis and Grants information systems. H/she ensures conformity with Grants reporting requirements and the stringent compliance to standards established by donors/NOs in agreement with Plan for the implementation of funded projects
Ensures value for money and manages 100% of the budget of the project by ensuring all project expenditure is recorded.
- Take a lead role during budget development for the project and ensuring continuous budgetary controls are in place with all financial commitments within the budget limit for the project.
- Providing day to day budget and financial oversight for the project.
- Project financial systems are aligned with Plan systems while ensuring compliance of specific donor requirements
- Assist in the preparation of the annual grant budget/, monitor the impact of operation plans upon existing grant, analyze and advise Project manager concerning appropriate actions to be taken;
- Reviews partners and Plan financial documents and checks compliance to FAD requirements/processes and any deviations are dealt with appropriately;
Expenditure Tracking & Recording
- Ensure that the Project’s PO is running with valid budget at all times and ensuring that correct/relevant account lines have been used during PO development.
- Review procurement and payment requests ensuring reasonableness and allowability of expenditure, budget availability and completeness of supporting documents.
- Processing payments and timely posting of project’s expenditure.
- Ensuring all project advance liquidations are done accurately on time and expensing done promptly.
- Ensure that the project is audit ready at all times by timely filing of all financial documents in order for ease of reference.
- Play an advisory role to the PA on a financial matters in line with the Finance Operations Manual
- Producing monthly project financial reports.
- Submission of monthly project financial reports to the CFM by 10th of the consecutive month.
- Submission of reports as per donor reporting requirements.
Compliance and systems management
- Ensures that all policies and procedures are in compliance with Plan and donor requirements.
- Review monthly transactions and supporting documents and assure that meet the financial reporting requirements and deadlines;
- Assure that financial accounting data entries respect the budget lines items and appropriate codifications are in place to link transactions to the budget;
- Ensure monthly reconciliations between Plan Data and Partners, Excel Financial report and SAP are correctly.
- Closely monitors financial activities, and keeps the Senior Grant Accountant and Project Manager are advised of all situations which have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial performance;
- Maintain a permanent and completed grants files field at Plan level.
- Manages Grants information systems and works closely with PA Accountant to ensure data integrity.
- Ensures grants information is encoded into the SAP accurately and as scheduled;
- Consolidates grant finance reports data and ensures they are properly stored and updated in the information system;
- Reply to inquiries on grant-finance related issues promptly and correctly;
- Stores files and other information related to Grants in an organized manner and are retrieved easily;
Field Monitoring Visit
- Perform a monthly field monitoring visit at the different project areas and provide technical assistances and guidance, related to financial activities;
- Support community planning processes and actively participates in partners and field based community organizations training and empowerment.
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.