Nascent Solutions (Nascent) is a US-based 501(c)(3) non-profit international development organization. Its mission is to enable vulnerable people, especially women and children in rural Africa to develop skills for self-sufficiency. The organization’s areas of focus are food security and nutrition, health, literacy and skills development and gender equity
With funding from the United States Department of Agriculture, Nascent Solutions is implementing a five year McGovern-Dole International Food for Education and Child Nutrition Program in the Central and Southern Malawi. The goal for the program is to improve the literacy of school-age children through improved literacy instruction, student attentiveness, and student attendance; and also to increase the use of positive health and dietary practices.
Nascent is currently seeking the following qualified candidates for various positions for its offices in Lilongwe and Blantyre.
School Feeding Officer (2 positions)
The School Feeding Officers/End-Use Check Monitoring Officers will coordinate and support consistency and compliance of warehousing facilities. commodity movements and distribution practices in support of the McGovern-Dole International Food for Education and Child Nutrition Program being implemented in central and southern Malawi
Location: Lilongwe and Blantyre
Type of Employment: Salaried, fulltime fixed contract (for four – five years)
Reporting – Reports to Commodity Manager
Travel: Approximately 45% travel for field work
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform regular field supervision visits to storage facilities and distribution events to monitor, evaluate, and report on commodity management systems and procedures, ensuring that
they meet Nascent Solutions and donor regulations, and international and local inventory accountability standards and requirements.
- Identify and proactively mitigate security risks for the donated commodities.
- Review Nascent Solutions commodity management internal control systems and procedures at each stage of the supply chain to ensure that they are adequate in order to minimize risk of misappropriation, fraud, and any other irregularities.
- Provide recommendations for corrective measures to mitigate existing or potential risks for the donated commodities
- Ensure that all stakeholders understand the procedures and processes of the school feeding program and the roles they will play to facilitate the achievement of the desired results
- Sensitize the project communities on the importance of school feeding to the child’s growth and academic performance.
- Effectively monitor commodity activities and identify deficiencies and means for improvement while applying the principles of stewardship, integrity, transparency and accountability in line with the USDA and Nascent Solutions regulations and procedures
- In collaboration with the Regional Coordinators, liaise with other Nascent Solutions program staff and other stakeholders to ensure that each target school has adequate infrastructure, equipment and tools to facilitate the preparation and serving of daily school meals
- Collaborate with the Health and Nutrition program staff to develop manuals and train the cooks, teachers and PTA/SMC members on the use of good hygiene and food preparation
- Collaborate with the Logistics Officer, Warehouse Manager, School Feeding Committees and school authorities to ensure that food is regularly supplied to the schools.
- Participate in the FDP mapping with relevant SMC committees at field level
- Prepare timely evaluation reports documenting field observations
Required Skills and Qualifications
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Commodity Management. Logistics. Distribution, Statistics, Quantitative and Qualitative Research, Nutrition and Community Development
- Professional certification(s) in Supply Chain a plus.
- Minimum of 3 years work experience in commodity management, logistics, distribution, or M&E, preferably with an INGO.
- Additional education may substitute for some experience.
- Experience in trend analysis, internal audit, or equivalent investigative assessment.
- Knowledge and understanding of materials management and inventory control principles.
- Understanding of Generally Accepted Commodity Accountability Principles (GACAP) preferred
- Proficient in MS Office package (Excel, Word PowerPoint).
- Very good analytical skills with ability to detect and report inconsistencies.
- Conscientious, accurate and thorough with great attention to detail
- Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized professional and organizational codes of ethics
- Good reporting skills.
- Proactive, resourceful. solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and CV to [email protected] with and clearly indicate the position one is applying for in the e-mail subject line. Closing date for applications is 27th March, 2020. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Nascent Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, marital status religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, or political affiliation
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted