United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Portfolio Manager, RICE and guidance of senior programme staff, the Programme Associate provides leadership in execution of services in the CO Programme Unit, supports the design, planning and management of the country programme by managing data and facilitating programme implementation within the various/related projects under RICE ( Hotspots and Development Impact Advisory Team ) The Programme Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Programme Associate works in close collaboration with the programme colleagues, providing inputs on trends, best practices, and financial status of UNDP initiatives, as well as with operations, programme and projects’ staff in the CO and UNDP HQs as required for resolving complex finance-related issues and exchange of information. He/she will upon request backstop other programme colleagues.
The Programme Associate supports the CO programme in Malawi ensuring the facilitation of knowledge building/management activities and resource mobilization efforts.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Presentation of thoroughly researched information for preparation of CCA, UNDAF, CPD, CPAP, effective application of RBM tools and establishment of management targets (BSC). Establishment of the mechanisms to track use of RBM tools and maintenance of RBM database.
- Participates in the analysis and summarization of proposals on the thematic areas assigned.
- Presentation of information/ reports for identification of areas for support and interventions.
- Implementation of the CO partnerships and resources mobilization strategies, preparation of reports.
- Effective support in the application of RBM tools, establishment of project targets (BSC) and monitoring and achievement of results.
- Presentation of thoroughly researched information for formulation of country programme, preparation of project documents’ drafts, work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements.
- Initiation of a project, contribute to presentation of the project to PAC, entering project into Atlas, finalization of contribution agreement, preparation of required budget revisions and closure of projects through review.
- Participation in Local Project Appraisal Committee (LPAC) and Contracts, Assets and Procurement Committee (CAP)
- Analyzes and submits procurement processes to CAP.
- Provision of guidance to the executing agencies on routine implementation of projects, tracking use of financial resources.
- Follow up on performance indicators/ success criteria, targets and milestones, preparation of reports.
- Contribution to operational and substantive analysis of programme financial resources identification of operational and financial problems, and development of solutions.
- Support to audit of NEX projects, implementation of audit recommendations.
- Guidance in the elaboration of proper control of the supporting documents for payments, review of NEX projects Financial Reports.
- Guidance in the maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed; transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas.
- Timely monitoring and execution of corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
- Organization and facilitation of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in programme.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Required Skills and Experience
- University Degree in Business / Public Administration,/Economics,/Political / Social Sciences or related field with at least four years’ experience. OR
- Completion of Secondary Education, preferably with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance/Administration or related field, plus a minimum of Seven years’ experience
- Progressively responsible administrative or programme experience is required at the national or international level.
- Experience in thematic areas related to democratic governance, human rights and decentralization work would be deemed a comparative advantage.
- Experince in the use of ERP applications .
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems including social networking tools (Teamworks).
- Experience with international development agencies (bilateral, multilateral or NGOs) would be desirable.
- Finance experience/ knowledge desirable.
- Proficiency in English and language of the duty station. 2nd UN language desirable.