Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) Malawi
Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) is an international non-governmental Organization registered in the Vatican, with a mission to accompany, serve and advocate for forcibly displaced people that they may heal, learn and determine their own future. JRS programmes are currently found in over 58 countries, serving refugees,
other forcibly displaced persons and members of the host communities. The main programmes provided are
in the field of Education, Livelihoods, Reconciliation, Advocacy and Mental Health and Psycho-Social Support. JRS facilitates involvement of individuals and communities and promotes regional and global cooperation and networking on behalf of refugees and the forcibly displaced. JRS works cooperatively with other organisations and agencies in order to achieve its mission. It seeks work in situations where no one else is working, where it can bring a particular expertise to bear, where its presence will attract others, where it can build its work on an existing network and where its presence can send a larger message to decision makers and others.
JRS Malawi seeks to fill the following position.
Position Title: Finance Officer
Location: Lilongwe, Malawi
Reports to: Finance Manager
The Finance Officer is responsible for day-to-day financial administration across the organization. This will involve providing support with various tasks in the day to day operations for the organization. He/She serves as the lead of all accounts department functions and will regularly interface with staff and other stakeholders. Some of the responsibilities as follows:
- Receiving incoming invoices/payment requests and processing them.
- Posting transactions to Navision Accounting system on time and preparation of financial reports
- Uploading payments in the organizational banking system.
- Professionally processing payments in line with JRS approved policies and in adhering to effective accounting system.
- Ensuring that bank statements are available for all bank accounts and filed accordingly.
- Ensuring that payment vouchers are well filed, numbered and stamped.
- Budget preparation and ensuring its compliance.
- Ensuring that all floats taken by staff members are timely liquidated without fail.
- Assist the Finance Manager in ensuring that all internal controls are effective and also that the production of financial reports and the entire financial system is professionally managed.
- Any other duties assigned on need basis.
Qualifications and Experience and required values.
- Applicant should have a Degree in Accountancy or its equivalent from a fully accredited institution.
- Must be a registered diplomate member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Malawi (ICAM).
- At least Three years of experience at Finance officer position or equivalent in a very busy office environment. Those with experience with Navision and NGO sector experience will have an added advantage.
- High integrity, honesty; Courageous, Strong mind and highly dedicated to professionalism.
- Commitment to JRS’s mission, vision and values; the ability to convey with enthusiasm JRS’s role in accompanying and serving forcibly displaced people and to advocate for their right to protection and a life in dignity.
- High integrity, honesty; Courageous and Strong mind.
- Self-starter and ready to take the job as a calling.
The successful candidate for the position will be offered a one-year contract and the renewal will be based on the satisfactory performance and availability of funds for the position.
HOW TO APPLY
Send your application letter, also your expected compensation package, Curriculum Vitae and scanned copies of your original certificates with three traceable referees quoting the position being applied for in the
subject line through email only to:
Deadline for receipt of applications is Friday 24th November 2023.
Please note that due to an urgent need, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and candidates are
encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Hard copy applications will not be entertained.
JRS is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity and inclusion in its work and staff.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.