Malawi Human Rights Commission
The Human Rights Commission (the Commission), an independent institution established under Chapter XI of the Constitution of the Republic of Malawi, with the primary mandate of the promotion and protection of human rights and investigations of violations of the rights accorded by the Constitution or any other law in Malawi, invites applications from suitable, qualified and experienced persons to fill the following vacant positions.
Title of post : Principal Gender and Women Rights Officer (Legal Services)
Grade : H6
- Bachelor of Law Degree and admission to the Malawi Bar.
- Have Excellent analytical, advocacy, investigations, litigation, mediation, conciliation, negotiation skills;
- Must have excellent oral, written Communication skills, report writing skills
- Knowledge and a good appreciation of the international and domestic human rights system.
- Computer literate;
- Preparing legal opinions and provision of advice on Gender and women rights cases laid before Commission;
- Carry out litigation, on such appropriate cases that may be laid before the Commission;
- Assist in the conduct of gender and women rights investigations, hearing and resolution of cases;
- Provide legal advice to complainants on gender and women issues;
- Supervising subordinate staff under him/her;
- Assisting in the handling of the Institution’s legal work;
- Assisting in the preparation of departmental reports;
- Carryout such other lawful duties as assigned by Director of Gender and women Rights and other senior members of staff of the Commission;
The Commission is an equal opportunity employer. Therefore, both male and female persons including persons with disabilities, who meet the prerequisite qualifications and experience are encouraged to apply. However, considering that the Commission oversees the implementation of the Gender Equality Act that ensures 40:60/60:40 distribution of decision-making positions; the Commission particularly encourages women to apply for positions above. Please note that any canvassing shall lead to disqualification.
An attractive remuneration package comprising a competitive salary and benefits will be offered to the successful candidates. The Commission also offers excellent career development opportunities.
Interested persons should submit their application with up-to-date detailed curriculum vitae including names and addresses of three traceable referees, to reach the undersigned not later than the 15th January, 2022. All late applications shall not be considered.
The Executive Secretary,
Malawi Human Rights Commission,
HB House, Off Paul Kagame Road,
Private Bag 378,