University of Malawi (UNIMA)
The University of Malawi (UNIMA) was established after the 2019 Acts of Parliament which created three Universities from delinked Colleges of the former University with the same name. The University of Malawi retains the cherished history of being the fest University in the county, a champion of intellectual freedom and academic rigour and boasts of the largest group of alumni in top leadership positions within Malawi and beyond.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified, competent, dynamic and visionary individuals to fill the following position:
The University of Malawi is undergoing major developments, and rapid expansion of student numbers. Significant expansions are also expected in the number and quality of its programmes, as well as research activities. In light of the recent pandemic and the demands on physical distancing and e-Learning, new challenges have emerged for the University’s library to meet an increasing need of access to library services in a technology based convenient approach. The Librarian, therefore, will provide vision, strategic direction and leadership of the University Library to achieve the teaching, learning, research and publication strategies of the University. As the executive administrator of the library and reporting to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor, the Librarian will oversee the effective functioning of the Library, and as a member of the University’ Executive Management, ensure that the University’s Strategy as agreed by Council is implemented. This is a demanding, but rewarding position suited to a highly motivated, solution-focused and astute strategic leader.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Librarian
- Provide strategic and administrative leadership in the University Library;
- Demonstrate vision and empower others in order to deliver the agreed strategy of the Library;
- Support teaching and research by providing overall co-ordination of all matters relating to the Library in liaison with Executive Deans;
- Develop partnerships with other academic research libraries, regional and national library associations;
- Liaise with Schools, departments, external organisations and suppliers on acquisition of library resources;
- Oversee the modernisation and functional e-library services of the University of Malawi library;
- Prudently manage budgets and resources of the University Library;
- Maintain and promote the efficiency and good order of the University Library;
- Initiate development of academic and professional programmes related to library services in liaison with relevant schools.
- Minimum of Masters’ degree in library information related field from an institution accredited or recognized under the National Council of Higher Education Act
- At least five (5) years’ experience in managing library services.
Skills and Attributes
- The ideal candidate will be a collegial, visionary, experienced leader, with the proven ability to manage, develop, and forward the strategic vision of an academic research library, while successfully implementing operational details and managing staff.
- A high level of commitment and self-motivation and innovation;
- Methodical, determined and focused on the task in hand;
- Committed to learning and development to keep abreast with the changing academic administration environment;
- Holds himself /herself to high ethical and moral standards.
The Librarian shall be appointed for a term of five years. Subject to satisfactory performance, he/she may be eligible for re-appointment for one further term.
For serving tenured employees of the University who are appointed to the position in accordance with the Act and statues of the University, they shall be appointed on secondment basis.
The above positions come with a highly competitive compensation and benefits package in accordance with the University’s existing structure of benefits.
Applicants are invited to submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a vision statement and names and contact details of three traceable referees. Shortlisting of candidates will be based on the quality of these three documents which should be submitted to:
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should be received by 21st January, 2022.