University of Malawi (UNIMA)
The University of Malawi (UNIMA) was established after the 2019 Acts of Parliament which created three Universities from delinked Colleges of the former University with the same name. The University of Malawi retains the cherished history of being the fest University in the county, a champion of intellectual freedom and academic rigour and boasts of the largest group of alumni in top leadership positions within Malawi and beyond.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified, competent, dynamic and visionary individuals to fill the following position:
EXECUTIVE DEANS (5 POSITIONS)
The Executive Dean will lead the School by providing strong strategic academic and administrative oversight. The Executive Dean will create an enabling environment in the School for research excellence, context-relevant teaching and learning, and professional practice in a synergistic manner to deliver and enhance the student and external stakeholder experience. He/she will promote a culture of professionalism, ethics, and excellence in research, publications, and enterprise activities. The Executive Dean will oversee the achievement of the School’s strategic objectives, and as a member of the University’s Executive Management, ensure that the University’s Strategy as agreed by Council is implemented. This is a demanding, but rewarding position suited to a highly motivated, solution-focused and astute strategic leader. As the Chair of the Board of the School, the Executive Dean will lead on corporate initiatives by acting as an ambassador engaging in building a strong external profile in order to build and promote the impact and reputation of University of Malawi, the student experience and the work of the School. The Executive Dean shall be subject to an annual performance appraisal and review undertaken by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor.
Duties and function of Executive Dean
- Provide strategic academic and administrative leadership in the school;
- Ensure that the School complies with all regulatory requirements and
- Demonstrate vision and empower others in order to deliver the agreed strategy of the School;
- Provide overall co-ordination of all matters relating to the academic welfare of the students within the School;
- Select persons to be admitted as students in the School;
- Conduct reviews and performance appraisals of Heads of Academic Departments within
- Prudently manage budgets and resources of the School; the School
- Develop and implement the School’s research, publications, and enterprise strategies;
- Oversee the development and delivery of innovative undergraduate and postgraduate programmes within the School;
- Plan and implement activities for effective engagement with professional bodies, the community, industry and the general public;
- Exercise and discharge such duties in connection with academic and administrative matters falling within his/her School;
- Liaise with various offices for the effective and efficient implementation of relevant policies.
- Minimum of a doctorate degree in a relevant field from an institution accredited or recognized under the National Council of Higher Education Act
- Five (5) years’ experience in a management position in a higher education institution.
- A strong publication record and evidence of esteem in a professional context.
- Commitment to resource mobilisation.
Skills and Attributes
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills and the strength of character to be effective within and beyond the School
- Ability to foster collaborative working internally and externally;
- Proven ability to develop and implement strategy;
- Strong leadership skills, and ability to inspire and motive staff;
- Demonstrable ability to manage complex change and engage staff through this process;
- Passionate about delivering an excellent student experience, incentivizing strong research publication, enterprise, and research impact;
- Effective School and University ambassador, with national, regional, and global networks;
- Firm commitment to achieving the University’s vision and implementing its Strategic Plan;
- Strong negotiation, advocacy, and conflict resolution skills.
- Holds himself /herself to high ethical and moral standards.
The Executive Dean shall be appointed for a term of three years. Subject to satisfactory performance, he/she may be eligible for re-appointment for one further term.
For serving tenured employees of the University who are appointed to the position in accordance with the Act and statues of the University, they shall be appointed on secondment basis.
The above positions come with a highly competitive compensation and benefits package in accordance with the University’s existing structure of benefits.
Applicants are invited to submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a vision statement and names and contact details of three traceable referees. Shortlisting of candidates will be based on the quality of these three documents which should be submitted to:
Email address: email@example.com
Applications should be received by 21st January, 2022.