AMG Global’s Client, a relief Development organization, dedicated to working with children, and communities seeks to engage a Legal Counsel. The position is tenable in Lilongwe. Malawi.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The role supports Headquarters leadership and management team with sound legal and corporate services advice to ensure business decisions, operations and processes including employee relations and contracts management are executed in compliance with the organization’s and national legal standards.
Provide Legal advice to the Leadership :
- Provide support and Legal advice on legal issues with staff, contractors and service providers in liaison with organization’s external lawyer.
- Review on-going cases and advise management accordingly.
Act as point of reference for legal issues, reporting and perform day to day review of contracts, agreements, and official correspondence from management teams
- Review contracts for completeness and compliance with organization’s standards and general practice.
- Offer the first opinion on legal matters; liaise with lawyers on pending legal cases; maintain the organization’s claims reports and reviews potential liability.
Ensure the organization’s processes and practices complies with Malawi legal obligations
- Ensure that the organization conforms to all local laws. including tax and labour laws.
- Support fraud prevention initiatives across the organization.
Network and collaborate with relevant partners and stakeholders (15% of time)
- Represent the organization in dealing with external contracted legal firms, and in Court, on legal matters.
Build the capacity of staff in managing legal related risks
- Review legal risks, organizational legal process gaps, and offer advise to management.
- Review new policies, procedures and systems and highlight any legal implications that may arise in the context of Malawi.
- Continuously monitor compliance with statutory obligations.
- Conduct staff training and coaching on appropriate legal requirements,
KNOWLEDGE, QUALIFICATIONS, AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors Degree in Law. or similar: A Masters in Law will be an added advantage.
- A member of the Bar.
- Previous working experience as a Legal Counsel for not less than 5 years.
- In depth knowledge of Malawi Administrative Law Procedures and Malawi Labour Laws.
- Arbitration and Mediation skills a must.
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills:
- Must be self-motivated, problem solving individual with high levels of initiative.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants must self-complete and submit their application online through the AMG Global online recruitment system https://amgglobal.online.mw/apply/21113600
- Applicants must have an electronic copy (PDF) of their CV and a photograph in JPG format ready for upload.
- Applications submission deadline is 3rd December 2021.
- Only short listed candidates will be acknowledged.
Mail your inquiries to the following email address: [email protected]