Farm Radio Trust
Reporting To: The Head of Radio Broadcasting Services/Station
The Radio Engineer has primary responsibility for the technical operation of the Radio network of stations and transmitters, maintaining all its equipment and maintaining around-the-clock broadcast capability. The Radio Engineer supervises the administration and operation of radio station computers and networking systems and responds to or assigns a qualified technician
to respond to technical emergencies on a twenty-four-hour basis.
- Ensures that Radio and its network of stations and translators is in compliance with set rules and regulations regarding technical operations at all times, thus protecting the license and financial resources of the station, by overseeing the review of the station’s operations and maintenance logs, scheduling regular on-site transmitter inspections, and performing regular reviews of station operations to keep them up-to-date.
- Maintains the technical operations of Radio by overseeing the maintenance of all recording and playback equipment, receivers and transmitters, on-air and studio audio mixing equipment, and audio reproduction equipment, overseeing the software and hardware maintenance of automation computer, audio automation and control equipment, and calibration of remote instrumentation, and monitoring and measuring station audio signals based on set technical requirements and highest possible audio quality.
- Promotes and practices strategies of preventive maintenance, thus ensuring around-the clock broadcasting capability for the Radio network of stations and translators, by periodically testing all backup equipment including transmitters, generators, transfer switches and remote controls, knowing how to operate all test equipment needed to troubleshoot and maintain station technical operations, and responding to or assigning a qualified technician to respond to technical emergencies on a twenty-four hour basis.
- Facilitates the purchase and installation of new equipment by researching new equipment and writing bid specifications, installing or supervising the installation of new equipment, engaging in process improvement by identifying operations problems that have technical solutions and finding existing devices or designing and building devices as solutions, and
inspecting and making recommendations for possible new locations for better operations.
- Assists in the administration of the Radio by reviewing and/or filing all engineering related documents required by the law,
- Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
Qualifications / Skills
- Diploma in Telecommunications, electrical and electronics engineering, computer sciences or similar fields.
- Five years’ working experience as radio transmission engineer
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Electrical Engineering and/or Radio Frequency experience
- Conversant with SNMPv2 and excellent IT skills.
- Knowledge of Audio over IP and Multicasting networks/
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their CV and Motivation letter no later than Friday 10th December, 2021 through [email protected].
The duty station for the position above is Lilongwe.