Secretariat Coordinator – Malawi Irish Consortium on Gender Based Violence (MICGBV)
The Malawi Irish Consortium on Gender Based Violence (MICGBV) is looking for a dynamic, mature and motivated person to lead its new Secretariat. The role will be based in the Consortium’s Chair Agency, Trócaire in Lilongwe and will be contracted for an initial one-year duration with possible extension based on performance and availability of funds.
The appointed person will join a dedicated team of Trócaire staff; will report to the Trócaire Country Director as the Consortium’s Chair and work in close coordination with the MICGBV seven (7) member organisations, the Embassy of Ireland in Malawi and other relevant stakeholders.
The Malawi Irish Consortium on Gender Based Violence (MICGBV) was set up in 2014. Its membership is diverse, representing humanitarian, development, human rights, advocacy and gender focused organisations. Currently the Malawi Irish Consortium on Gender Based Violence (MICGBV) comprises of seven (7) member organizations: ActionAid Malawi, Concern Worldwide, GOAL Malawi, Irish Rule of Law, Oxfam in Malawi, Self-Help Africa and Trócaire with support from – and in close collaboration with the Embassy of Ireland in Malawi. Currently, in 2021, Trócaire is the Chair of the Consortium, while Concern Worldwide is the Vice Chair organization. The Malawi Irish Consortium aims to promote evidence-based programming on gender equality and GBV and support relevant work of the Government of Malawi through the Ministry of Gender, Community Development and Social Welfare and other key stakeholders.
Scope of work
The MICGBV Secretariat Coordinator will be responsible to:
- Manage the Secretariat’s day to day running and budget, including timely reporting
- Lead and liaise with GBV technical staff of the MICGBV member organisations;
- Facilitate coordination through various INGO, national and local NGO fora
- Ensure effective information sharing and briefing on emerging issues with the Consortium Chair organization and members, the broader NGO community and external stakeholders
- Representing and advocating on the agreed interests of the MICGBV in external meetings in collaboration with the Chair Organization
- Coordinate visits of advocacy groups, researchers, donors, partners, etc.
- Ensure the research, documentation and sharing of lessons learned/best practices
- Identify gaps in research and analysis that could be used by the members and beyond for evidence based programming
- Assist to build Consortium engagement with Government and relevant line Ministries and other relevant stakeholders
- Any other reasonable duty as may be assigned by the line manager.
- Tertiary undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications in gender, development studies, social science, international relations or other related field
- At least five years of progressive experience working in the field of Gender and Development
- Demonstrated management and coordination skills
- Significant experience in the development of relevant advocacy, policy and key messaging documents, including on women’s empowerment, HIV and/or GBV at local and national levels in Malawi
- Proven experience in the formulation of proposals, budgets and reports
- A demonstrated ability and experience to coordinate networks or Consortia
- Acts with a high level of reliability, integrity and honesty at all times
- Excellent analytical and report writing skills in English
- Fluency in spoken and written Chichewa (any other Malawi languages an asset)
- Acts with a high level of reliability, integrity and honesty at all times.
Mode of Application
Applications should include the following: i) A cover letter outlining your motivation and how you fulfil the person specifications for the post; ii) An up to date Curriculum Vitae including the names and contact details of three referees and should be uploaded via the careers page on Trócaire’s website https://apply.workable.com/trocaire/j/558D2DC3CD/ at 17:00 hours on Friday 22 October 2021.
For the detailed Job Specification, please send an e-mail to: Infomalawi@trocaire.org
Only applications from shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged. Applications received after the deadline will not be taken into consideration.
Trócaire and all MICGBV Member agencies are committed to Safeguarding people within our programmes from Exploitation and Abuse. Any candidate offered a job with Trócaire will be expected to sign Trócaire’s Safeguarding Policies and Global Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents. All offers of employment will be subject to pre-employment checks including satisfactory references and appropriate screening (e.g. police vetting, counter terrorism and anti-trafficking). Trócaire also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and all employees will be subject to this as part of contract of employment.