Website United Purpose
United Purpose (UP) Malawi is an international non-governmental organisation working to create opportunities for lasting improvement in peoples’ lives. We work in partnership with others to support a range of livelihoods and food security, WASH and health, sustainable energy and gender equality programmes reaching over 1,000,000 people a year across Malawi. Globally, we work in nine countries across Africa, Asia and South America, however our Malawi programme is the largest country programme. UP currently operates in 17 districts in Malawi, supporting over 30 on-going projects, with a total staff of over 180 working across five impact areas: Resilient Lives; WASH and Healthier Lives; Sustainable Energy; Gender Equality and Emergency Response.
With funding from UNICEF, UP in partnership with Participatory Development Initiatives (PDI) and WESNET are planning a WASH in Schools Project focussing on rehabilitating latrines facilities to become gender responsive including MHM targeting 34 pre-selected schools in Kasungu, Lilongwe, Dedza, Salima, Mangochi and Chikwawa for a duration of twelve (12) months, effective 1stOctober 2021. The UP led consortium will support UNICEF’s work in Malawi to enable school-aged girls and boys, especially early adolescents (aged 10-14) acquire essential learning outcomes and practice skills for life, are safe from exploitation, harmful practices and violence, and benefit from integrated social services through improved health resulting from increasing access to gender responsive sanitation, hygiene and MHM Services in 6 districts. We will take a system’s strengthening approach, working with Districts Councils through Education and Health Sectors to jointly increase access to sanitation and hygiene and MHM services in order to improve health and education outcomes among learners in 6 districts. UP will lead implementation in 4 districts; namely Kasungu, Dedza, Salima and Chikwawa while PDI will lead in Mangochi and Lilongwe.
UP therefore invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced persons to fill the following vacancy:
Monitoring, Knowledge Management and Learning Coordinator (Based in Lilongwe, with extensive travel)
The role of the Monitoring, Knowledge Management and Learning (MKML) Coordinator is to establish and implement systems to promote evidence-based decision-making, programme and project performance and learning. The MKML Coordinator will contribute to quality programming through supporting access to and use of relevant and timely information on programme scale, relevance, and effectiveness. S/he is responsible for coordinating monitoring lessons documentation, research/assessments and knowledge management related to WinS Project in all the 6 districts. S/he will be reporting to the WASH Project Manager while working very closely with WASH Projects Manager and partner organisation staff
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Responsible for designing and developing methodologies and tools related to planning and monitoring, evaluation and capitalization of lessons learned, and accountability and reporting; and ensure that they are age/gender sensitive
- Responsible for the updating of, implementation and oversight of the WinS Project and WASH Program M&E frameworks with project stakeholders and WASH teams.
- Develop, where appropriate, tools/methods/database to capture M&E gender disaggregated data at multiple levels, supporting data collection, analysis, research, monitoring and evaluation, together with WASH Program Manager and Operations Manager – ensuring all data required is appropriately captured and stored in a timely manner.
- Responsible for coordinating knowledge capture and management for the UP component of the project, as well as appropriate dissemination. This includes facilitating learning reviews and document lessons for internal/external sharing and cross-learning at national level.
- Build capacity of UP project staff, and relevant government and community partners on M&E related issues.
- Develop monthly, quarterly and yearly detailed project activity implementation plans, plus monthly monitoring and documentation reports to WASH Projects Manager and Program Manager.
- Conduct regular field visits to monitor processes and outputs ensuring that all opportunities for monitoring and learning are being taken forward.
- Work closely with Deputy Country – Director – Programmes and cross-programme M&E technical working group
- Lead the process of baseline, end line surveys and final evaluations and management responses.
- Monitor reports deadlines and support management with the preparation of donor reports to ensure compliance with key programme indicators and objectives.
- Support in the development of improved information management systems and photo gallery within the program
- Oversee the development and roll out of Program MEAL system in all partner districts
- Lead the documenting our WinS unique approaches as well as systems strengthening interventions through-out implementation
- Lead in organising a learning event in collaboration with WESNET and development of leaning papers for wider sharing and up scale
- Ensure roll-out of UPs Community Feedback and complaints mechanism and support PM in reporting to the safeguarding committee.
The successful candidate will have:
- At least a BSc degree in social science, M&E, community development, or any related field.
- A minimum of 3 years’ work experience in a similar M&E position.
- Extensive experience of targeting and working with disadvantaged people in Malawian society.
- Fluency in spoken and written English, Chichewa, including good English report writing skills.
- Practical knowledge and experience in use of a wide range of M&E tools including participatory methodologies and use of statistical packages like SPSS, Excel, ACCESS, STATA, GIS and mWater platform
- Demonstrable understanding of safeguarding risks and mitigating actions.
- Experience with both quantitative and qualitative methods; this should include survey development,
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with strong data analysis and critical thinking skills.
- Proactive and highly motivated individual who requires the minimum of supervision.
- The ability to coach others in the operation of M&E frameworks.
- Analytical thinking, problem solving and decision-making ability
- Proven ability to work under pressure and meet tight and competing deadlines.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Good planner and ability to deliver results
- Strong respect and empathy for rural communities, and an affinity to UP’s mission and values of integrity, dignity and environmental respect.
Terms and conditions
The above position will attract a generous benefits package including a competitive salary, housing allowance, medical aid, insurance, leave grant, etc
How to apply
Qualified and interested candidates who meet the stated requirements must submit a completed Application Form. Please note that CVs and cover letters will not be accepted. Please visit https://united-purpose.org/s/UP-Job-Application-Form-2wtb.doc to download the Application Form, and then submit the completed form via email only to email@example.com. When submitting, please cite the position you are applying for in the subject title. Any applications that do not include this in the title will not be considered. No hard copies / physical applications will be accepted. Closing date for the receipt of completed application forms is 12:00 Midnight of Monday, 18th October 2020. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
United Purpose takes the safety and well-being of all those we work with, and our staff, very seriously. We have a zero-tolerance policy on abuse. Our recruitment is safe, meaning that we recruit staff with the highest values and standards of ethical behaviour. United Purpose has a Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults Policy, which reflects our commitment to protecting the people with whom we work. All candidates will be expected to comply with this policy and its procedures.
For more information about UP, please visit our website at www.united-purpose.org/malawi/.
UP is an equal opportunity employer, and women are particularly encouraged to apply.