Website United Purpose
United Purpose (UP) Malawi is an international non-governmental organisation working to create opportunities for lasting improvement in peoples’ lives. We work in partnership with others to support a range of livelihoods and food security, WASH and health, sustainable energy and gender equality programmes reaching over 1,000,000 people a year across Malawi. Globally, we work in nine countries across Africa, Asia and South America, however our Malawi programme is the largest country programme. UP currently operates in 17 districts in Malawi, supporting over 30 on-going projects, with a total staff of over 180 working across five impact areas: Resilient Lives; WASH and Healthier Lives; Sustainable Energy; Gender Equality and Emergency Response.
With funding from UNICEF, UP in partnership with Participatory Development Initiatives (PDI) and WESNET are planning a WASH in Schools Project focussing on rehabilitating latrines facilities to become gender responsive including MHM targeting 34 pre-selected schools in Kasungu, Lilongwe, Dedza, Salima, Mangochi and Chikwawa for a duration of twelve (12) months, effective 1stOctober 2021. The UP led consortium will support UNICEF’s work in Malawi to enable school-aged girls and boys, especially early adolescents (aged 10-14) acquire essential learning outcomes and practice skills for life, are safe from exploitation, harmful practices and violence, and benefit from integrated social services through improved health resulting from increasing access to gender responsive sanitation, hygiene and MHM Services in 6 districts. We will take a system’s strengthening approach, working with Districts Councils through Education and Health Sectors to jointly increase access to sanitation and hygiene and MHM services in order to improve health and education outcomes among learners in 6 districts. UP will lead implementation in 4 districts; namely Kasungu, Dedza, Salima and Chikwawa while PDI will lead in Mangochi and Lilongwe.
UP therefore invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced persons to fill the following vacancy:
WASH Engineer (1 x based in Lilongwe with extensive travel)
Reporting to WASH Project Manager, the WASH Engineer will be responsible for program-levelWASH construction technical quality support and assurance for sanitation and hand washing infrastructure
including overseeing construction related works in all 6 districts, including partner districts. The Engineer will
ensure that all constructions works are implemented in line with stipulated SPHERE, WASH in Schools and other local WASH standards. S/he will work in close collaboration with Project Manager, WASH Facilitators,WASH Projects Manager and partner staff.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Conduct overall planning and coordination of Sanitation Facilities and hygiene construction works under
the guidance of Project Manager.
- Oversee and ensure quality of all construction related work in all partner districts
- Leading sanitation technical assessment process to determine the most appropriate water development
options for each community within the parameters in line with GoM policy guidelines
- Ensuring that GoM standards are maintained during Sanitation facilities and checked on completion.
- Supporting and supervising construction teams working on construction related works.
- Preparing high quality and accurate technical construction and other reports at short notice.
- Maintaining an up to date sanitation construction records
- Conduct field monitoring and quality assurance visit to monitor progress of activities and flag quality
issues to the WASH Project Manager as soon as they arise
- Develop and submit weekly construction updates and monthly monitoring and documentation reports to
- Ensure the programme is delivered In line with the UN’s protection mainstreaming pillars, UP’s
Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults Policy and with Core Humanitarian Standard 5.
- Ensure work is delivered In line with, UP’s Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults Policy.
Qualifications, Experience, Skills and Competencies
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Water Resources Management and any other relevant fields
- At least 3 years’ experience of working in Regular and Emergency WASH-related development projects in
an International NGO.
- Demonstrable understanding of safeguarding risks and mitigating actions.
- Strong knowledge in construction of WASH infrastructure including construction/rehabilitation of solar reticulated systems/boreholes, VIP latrines, Emergency Prefabricated Latrines and Pit Emptying
- Experience in design, implementation, operation and maintenance of solar powered water systems is essential
- Experience in community-based management and ability to deliver solar reticulated systems-communitybased management trainings
- Ability to use digital platforms (e.g. mWater) to locate and monitor WASH infrastructure is essential
- Ability to work independently and take a lead with new ideas.
- Ability to build/maintain good relationships with stakeholders, especially government staff, communities and partners
- Strong respect and empathy for rural communities, and an affinity to UP’s mission and values of integrity,dignity and environmental respect.
- Fluency in spoken and written English including good English report writing skills.
- Ready to work at odd hours, including weekends and holiday
Terms and conditions
The above positions will attract a generous benefits package including a competitive salary, housing allowance,medical aid, insurance, leave grant, et
Terms and conditions
The above position will attract a generous benefits package including a competitive salary, housing allowance, medical aid, insurance, leave grant, etc
How to apply
Qualified and interested candidates who meet the stated requirements must submit a completed Application Form. Please note that CVs and cover letters will not be accepted. Please visit https://united-purpose.org/s/UP-Job-Application-Form-2wtb.doc to download the Application Form, and then submit the completed form via email only to firstname.lastname@example.org. When submitting, please cite the position you are applying for in the subject title. Any applications that do not include this in the title will not be considered. No hard copies / physical applications will be accepted. Closing date for the receipt of completed application forms is 12:00 Midnight of Monday, 18th October 2020. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
United Purpose takes the safety and well-being of all those we work with, and our staff, very seriously. We have a zero-tolerance policy on abuse. Our recruitment is safe, meaning that we recruit staff with the highest values and standards of ethical behaviour. United Purpose has a Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults Policy, which reflects our commitment to protecting the people with whom we work. All candidates will be expected to comply with this policy and its procedures.
For more information about UP, please visit our website at www.united-purpose.org/malawi/.
UP is an equal opportunity employer, and women are particularly encouraged to apply.