Website United Purpose
United Purpose (UP) Malawi is an international non-governmental organisation working to create opportunities for lasting improvement in peoples’ lives. We work in partnership with others to support a range of livelihoods and food security, WASH and health, sustainable energy and gender equality programmes reaching over 1,000,000 people a year across Malawi. Globally, we work in nine countries across Africa, Asia and South America, however our Malawi programme is the largest country programme. UP currently operates in 17 districts in Malawi, supporting over 30 on-going projects, with a total staff of over 180 working across five impact areas: Resilient Lives; WASH and Healthier Lives; Sustainable Energy; Gender Equality and Emergency Response.
With funding from UNICEF, UP in partnership with Participatory Development Initiatives (PDI) and WESNET are planning a WASH in Schools Project focussing on rehabilitating latrines facilities to become gender responsive including MHM targeting 34 pre-selected schools in Kasungu, Lilongwe, Dedza, Salima, Mangochi and Chikwawa for a duration of twelve (12) months, effective 1stOctober 2021. The UP led consortium will support UNICEF’s work in Malawi to enable school-aged girls and boys, especially early adolescents (aged 10-14) acquire essential learning outcomes and practice skills for life, are safe from exploitation, harmful practices and violence, and benefit from integrated social services through improved health resulting from increasing access to gender responsive sanitation, hygiene and MHM Services in 6 districts. We will take a system’s strengthening approach, working with Districts Councils through Education and Health Sectors to jointly increase access to sanitation and hygiene and MHM services in order to improve health and education outcomes among learners in 6 districts. UP will lead implementation in 4 districts; namely Kasungu, Dedza, Salima and Chikwawa while PDI will lead in Mangochi and Lilongwe.
UP therefore invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced persons to fill the following vacancy:
WASH Project Manager (1 x based in Lilongwe Office)
Reporting to United Purpose’s WASH Projects Manager, the Project Manager will be responsible for providing overall project-level technical leadership, and the coordination of district-level planning, delivery, monitoring and evaluation of the project in in all the 6 districts, focussing on UP’s districts. This includes ensuring expenditure is in line with the budget and implementation is on track to meet expected targets, plus managing the district project team and other resources available to the project and is responsible for creating and nurturing a team that will successfully implement the project. The job holder will lead the roll out of our customized-UP Malawi WASH in Schools (WinS) approaches. S/he will line manage WASH Officers. S/he will work in close collaboration with Project Accountant and WASH Program Manager and partner teams.
The Project Manager will also be responsible for ensuring the programme is delivered In line with the UN’s protection mainstreaming pillars, UP’s Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults Policy and with Core Humanitarian Standard 5 by ensuring:
- Access to impartial assistance and equality;
- Prioritize safety and dignity and avoid causing further harm;
- Accountability to project participant and people-cantered humanitarian response, and;
- Participation and empowerment/assist people to claim their rights and access available remedies for violence, abuse and exploitation
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Responsible for day-to-day operations of project activities, ensuring effective and efficient delivery of project results.
- Developing and maintaining good relationships with all government partners, specifically DEM, DEHO and DWDO
- Oversee project implementation in all the 6 districts including to partner districts
- Develop, implement and monitor project-level work plan and budget, in line with project log frame, agreed deliverables, and resources. This includes ensuring effective project budgetary control and monitoring in line with UP’s financial procedures and guidelines, procurement and logistics, fraud and risk management policies.
- Deliver expert technical support and guidance in all aspects of project implementation and budgets. Particularly in terms of community-based management, stakeholder coordination, capacity building, and gender equality into the implementation of the project.
- Line manage the WASH Officers and District teams and coordination of project activities.
- Ensure close collaboration and networking with all district partners, including government and communities, in liaison with other UP projects, during all stages of project implementation.
- Closely monitor and assess UP project activities to ensure relevance, effectiveness, efficiency.
- Represent the UP project and organisation at district level WASH/DEN forums, where appropriate.
- Develop and submit weekly updates and monthly monitoring and documentation reports to WASH Projects Manager and WASH Program Manager.
- Lead the roll out and ensure adherence of our unique WinS approach
- Oversee the M&E Co-ordinator to roll-out UP’s Community Feedback and complaints mechanism and ensuring reporting to the safeguarding committee. Ensure the programme is delivered In line with the UN’s protection mainstreaming pillars, UP’s Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults Policy and with Core Humanitarian Standard 5.
Successful candidates will have:
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in Public Health, Water Resources Management, Environmental Health, Community Development, Engineering and any other relevant field
- At least 3 years’ experience of working in WASH-related development and humanitarian projects in an International NGO.
- Knowledge of applying systems strengthening approaches to deliver sustainable services at scale
- Strong planning and budgets skills and demonstrable experience in grants and compliance.
- Extensive experience of targeting and working with disadvantaged people in Malawian society.
- Fluency in spoken and written English, Chichewa, including good English report writing skills.
- Well-refined people management, team working and interpersonal skills.
- Strong respect and empathy for communities, and an affinity to UP’s mission and values of integrity, dignity and environmental respect.
- Demonstrable understanding of safeguarding risks and mitigating actions.
- Team player that thrives in a fast-paced, collaborative, and entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to work independently and take a lead with new ideas.
- Ability to build/maintain good relationships with stakeholders – especially government staff and communities
- Flexibility to work at odd hours, including weekends and holiday
- A full clean driving licence and ability to drive a four-wheel drive manual vehicle is essential
Terms and conditions
The above position will attract a generous benefits package including a competitive salary, housing allowance, medical aid, insurance, leave grant, etc
How to apply
Qualified and interested candidates who meet the stated requirements must submit a completed Application Form. Please note that CVs and cover letters will not be accepted. Please visit https://united-purpose.org/s/UP-Job-Application-Form-2wtb.doc to download the Application Form, and then submit the completed form via email only to firstname.lastname@example.org. When submitting, please cite the position you are applying for in the subject title. Any applications that do not include this in the title will not be considered. No hard copies / physical applications will be accepted. Closing date for the receipt of completed application forms is 12:00 Midnight of Monday, 18th October 2020. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
United Purpose takes the safety and well-being of all those we work with, and our staff, very seriously. We have a zero-tolerance policy on abuse. Our recruitment is safe, meaning that we recruit staff with the highest values and standards of ethical behaviour. United Purpose has a Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults Policy, which reflects our commitment to protecting the people with whom we work. All candidates will be expected to comply with this policy and its procedures.
For more information about UP, please visit our website at www.united-purpose.org/malawi/.
UP is an equal opportunity employer, and women are particularly encouraged to apply.