Smythe Road, Sunny Side, Blantyre
PO Box 31807, Blantyre 3, Malawi
Tel: (265) 1 827083
RN: NGO/R/002/03, C/0146/2002
Job Title: Finance Officer
Job Location: Nsanje
Reporting to: Area Coordinator with technical support from FC
GOAL has been working in southern Malawi since 2002 and currently has a presence in five districts (Nsanje, Chikwawa, Machinga, Mangochi and Balaka). GOAL’s global objective is to promote resilient well-being by: helping people to survive crisis; promoting optimal and resilient health; promoting food and nutrition security, and; supporting people to have sustainable and decent work. GOAL maintains close working relationships with the district authorities and relevant line ministries.
General Description of the Role
The FO will be primarily responsible for ensuring the field Finance Office runs smoothly and that comprehensive and timely reporting takes place which help Senior Finance Manager and Financial Controller to produce monthly accounts. Key duties will include the maintenance of financial records, development of reports, and ensuring compliance with donor stipulations. The Finance Officer will also have standard duties as a member of the finance office as detailed below
The Finance Officer will be responsible for:
- Leading on financial issues relating to GOAL’s field location programmes Act as an internal point of contact on financial queries relating to GOAL in the field location.
- Organising and maintaining the finance department filling system in field.
- Undertake audit document preparation and otherwise facilitate audit processes.
Undertake field visits to project sites to review components GOAL Machinga District
- Travelling to and making payments in the field
- Reconciling training attendance sheets to payment sheets
- Preparing, holding and closing floats
- Undertaking standard activities as part of the finance team:
- Prepare cash books and weekly cash counts and submit to head office on a timely manner.
- Where relevant, preparation of Withholding Tax Deduction Certificates for Suppliers.
- Random audit checks (and reporting of same to Finance Manager) which may or may not involve field visits.
- Reporting any anomalies or suspicious transactions to Area Coordinator and Financial Controller.
- Provide cover for all finance staff as and when required.
- Any other duties as assigned by Area Coordinator and Financial Controller
Requirements – essential
- Bachelor of Accounting or equivalent from a recognised third level institution or Diploma in accountancy with 3 years’ experience
- Fluent in English and Chichewa.
- Willingness to travel and work in rural environments as required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication capacities.
- Commitment to work out-of-office hours when required.
- Should be a self-starter and be able to demonstrate entrepreneurial capacity.
Requirements – preferred
- Experience working with an international NGO.
- Experience working on grants
Additional job responsibilities
The job duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit application letter and curriculum vitae consisting at least three references for similar work by 19th October 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please use this email subject line: Finance Officer Recruitment or send to: The Human Resources Manager, GOAL, P.O. Box PO Box 31807, Blantyre 3.