GoodVisionGlasses Malawi – About the Organization
GoodVisionGlasses is a brand name of a German Non-Profit organization, registered in Malawi as OneDollarGlasses Ltd, and is CONGOMA certified. The mission of GoodVisionGlasses is to provide high-quality GoodVisionGlasses to all people in need nationwide. This will be achieved by spherical correction in all clients with uncorrected spherical errors. The Optical Technician is a key position to secure and improve the optical standards of GoodVisionGlasses in Malawi. Key roles of the position is to provide optical screening and care to clients, support capacity building of the GoodVisionOpticians, lead in quality control, and enhance referral of complicated cases and clients with other pathologies into care. This document details the job description and deliverables of the incumbent, upon joining the team as soon as possible.
The objective of the position is to provide optical care and leadership to underserved communities. The Optical Technician will be responsible to manage optical quality and conduct optical refraction tests at external outreaches supporting the GoodVisionGlasses team. S/He has to identify optical shortcomings of visitors and enhance the referral network to care and treatment of complicated cases and eye diseases.
The Optical Technician will control, provide and improve the optical equipment in consultation with other Optical Technicians, international Opticians resident in Malawi and abroad, and the German Optical Board. In addition, s/he will support the Sales and Inventory Department to maintain the current sales process and stock counting.
- Qualification and certification as Optical Technician with experience in optics and sales
- Registration and recognition Medical Council of Malawi
- Willingness to visit remote and underserved communities in Malawi
- Empathy and teaching skills, with a strong focus on optical quality and sales skills (Teaching experience will be a plus)
- Excellent manual know-how with glasses and other materials
- Highly self-motivated to support staff in the goals of GoodVisionGlasses in Malawi
- Ability to observe and communicate on an objective point of view for a clear optical and sales quality control
- Capability to be creative and communicative to generate ideas to improve our product and marketing process
- Willingness for self-improvement and consequent work structure.
Main tasks / Responsibilities
- Lead in clients screening, eye testing and prescription and dispensation of the GoodVisionGlasses to clients in need and provide support services.
- Provide ongoing support to GoodVisionOpticians in screening and diagnosis of clients in need of spherical correction.
- Conduct quality check on standard screening and eye testing procedures among GoodVisionOpticians.
- Identify and arrange to refer clients with complicated vision problems (astigmatism, growth, neoplasms, uveitis, etc) to care and support.
- Create referral system for all clients in need of other optical solution, or have other medical or surgical eye conditions.
- Recruit and Train GoodVisionOpticians
- Managing the interview process in cooperation with the sales department from selection to hiring to find the most suitable employees for the desired location
- Permanent controlling and teaching of optical and sale skills on-field and off-field
- Proper budgeting of the trainings in cooperation with Country Director and Area Operation Manager depending on location.
- Supervision of all optical processes in the assigned geographical area according to the locations where the organization is operating
- Periodic reporting and evaluation of the Quality Standards
- Controlling the optical and sales performance
- Supervision and supporting of big events like Openings, Awareness Campaigns or Outreaches
- Supervision and organization of the Optical Standard Equipment and support of store interior and structure
- Regularly controlling and reporting of optical equipment to ensure that they are using this equipment properly.
- Lead in correct counting of materials and reports, ensuring consistent stock availability at all times.
- Full knowledge about the processes on the field (Optic Skills, Sales Processes, Daily Reporting, Stock Counting, Shop Interior, Health Insurances, …)
- Reporting of problems regarding the processes of stores or outreaches to the sales department and inventory department
- Implementation of new optical and sales guidelines concerning the Quality Standards of GoodVisionGlasses
- Maintenance of the Quality Standards of GoodVisionGlasses and the Medical Practices in Malawi
- Periodic reporting to the German optical board
- Strict supervision of the procedures
- Skills in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Diploma as an Optical Technician or higher, which allows working in accordance to the Medical Council of Malawi’s specifications.
- Training and mentorship skills.
- Planning, reporting and motivation to serve underprivileged and poor communities.
Applications should be forwarded to
The Country Coordinator
Physical address, Area 14/62 off presidential driveway